Restoring plastic trim.

suburbs

Original poster
Member
Jan 6, 2012
86
Anyone have experience restoring the plastic trim on bumpers, running boards, etc. Turns gray pretty easily in the sun.

Going over options, spray on bedliner, spray paint.

Also considering this product, reviews are solid looking on amazon.

View attachment 20111
 

Attachments

  • 41V3YxCkCVL._SS500_.jpg
    41V3YxCkCVL._SS500_.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 237

Jkust

Member
Dec 4, 2011
946
It's funny how soon the black trim starts to look parched from new even here in MN where our sun isn't powerful. I use the Back to Black from Mothers and I give it a strong C+.
 

BOOMERZ

Member
Dec 5, 2011
94
I used the heat gun method looks just like it would have looked when new .. took less than 20 minutes to do the bumpers and the running boards
 

Black_tb

Member
Dec 6, 2011
817
ive heard of some using a heat gun on it, havent tried it myself but saw some videos


[video=youtube_share;Q-dtbBzky-s]http://youtu.be/Q-dtbBzky-s[/video]
 

03TB93

Member
Mar 25, 2012
341
Jkust said:
It's funny how soon the black trim starts to look parched from new even here in MN where our sun isn't powerful. I use the Back to Black from Mothers and I give it a strong C+.

I agree 100%. not all its cracked up to be, as i heard that it works great and everyone wants some. But anyway, i did plasti dip mine to see how it would look black. it looks great and now im gonna either do bed liner as well, or just spray it black with plastic paint :thumbsup:
 

groundshock

Member
Dec 4, 2011
248
I tried the heat gun method on some other faded black shit I had laying around. Gave it a 'melted appearance' that I just didn't care for.

Did Dupli-color Trim black on my truck. Looks great after a full Wisconsin winter. Screw that heat gun garbage.
 

NighTblazer

Member
Jan 23, 2012
71
I painted all my faded grey trim Black with Krylon for plastics and clear coat and it still looks great.
 

03TB93

Member
Mar 25, 2012
341
Boog2006 said:
Wouldn't this be a plasti dip scenario? That's what I'm thinking of doing to mine.

plasti dip works great!! until someone needs something out of the back and they step up on the back step part to get it and the plasti dip comes off, and than u gotta do that whole part over. :sadcry: lol. id just do it right the first time and paint it black. thats what im doing hopefullly this week. :thumbsup:
 

DocBrown

Member
Dec 8, 2011
501
groundshock said:
I tried the heat gun method on some other faded black shit I had laying around. Gave it a 'melted appearance' that I just didn't care for.

Did Dupli-color Trim black on my truck. Looks great after a full Wisconsin winter. Screw that heat gun garbage.

I'm with you. I painted mine with Rustolium Black Plastic paint. Did it last summer. Still looks great. No fooling around with Black to Black anymore. No fooling around with a heat gun.
 

Rubberman

Member
Dec 14, 2011
117
Krylon makes a plastic spray paint. I just redid the rear bumper. I taped everything off and did 2 good coats. looks so much better. That plastic spray paint doesnt need any primer.
 

NighTblazer

Member
Jan 23, 2012
71
Rubberman said:
Krylon makes a plastic spray paint. I just redid the rear bumper. I taped everything off and did 2 good coats. looks so much better. That plastic spray paint doesnt need any primer.

Rubberman, I painted mine with the Krylon if you look at #10. It's been almost a year now no fading and i also used a couple of layers of clear coat. I did all my trim, running boards and mirrors.
 

TheBad

Member
Dec 4, 2011
48
Done using the heat gun method. Pics were taken minutes after, nothing applied to them at that point.
A few days later I applied 303 UV protection to them.

203.jpg


205.jpg
 

Rubberman

Member
Dec 14, 2011
117
NighTblazer said:
Rubberman, I painted mine with the Krylon if you look at #10. It's been almost a year now no fading and i also used a couple of layers of clear coat. I did all my trim, running boards and mirrors.


Yeap that stuff works pretty good and hopefully this weekend i can repaint the front piece.
 

sunliner

Member
Mar 25, 2012
365
Rubberman said:
Yeap that stuff works pretty good and hopefully this weekend i can repaint the front piece.

what do you guys clear coat with?
 

am-radio

Member
Apr 24, 2012
178
I use black wow. It's pretty expensive for such a small container, but you only use a few drops. Have had great results from it.
 

Matt

Member
Dec 2, 2011
4,024
I just use 303 on mine. AFAIK the trim was always a dark grey, not black and the 303 makes them look like new.
 

Uncle Blazer

Member
Dec 8, 2011
263
How tough is it to pop the plastic trim off? do you just get under it with a flat screwdriver and pry (gently) it up?
 

DocBrown

Member
Dec 8, 2011
501
Uncle Blazer said:
How tough is it to pop the plastic trim off? do you just get under it with a flat screwdriver and pry (gently) it up?

It doesn't come off. Well, I think the center step on the rear pops off. But the rest is plastic welded on. I took my entire back bumper cover off thinking I could remove all the black parts to paint. No dice, I ended up taping it all off. But the cover is easy to take off and made it a lot easier to spray.
 

Uncle Blazer

Member
Dec 8, 2011
263
DocBrown said:
It doesn't come off. Well, I think the center step on the rear pops off. But the rest is plastic welded on. I took my entire back bumper cover off thinking I could remove all the black parts to paint. No dice, I ended up taping it all off. But the cover is easy to take off and made it a lot easier to spray.

Good to know. Mine looks like shit and needs to be painted badly. Many thanks.
 

NighTblazer

Member
Jan 23, 2012
71
The step parts of the rear bumper can come off. I took my time and undid all the retainers and then pushed all the tabs through with a large flathead screwdriver and then used automotive adhesive on them when i reinserted them. I clear coated with rattle can type from advance auto.
 

SAR85

Member
Jan 31, 2012
74
I used bedliner on my back bumper plastic today and am extremely happy with the results. I plan on doing the rest of the trim the same way.

View attachment 20594
 

Attachments

  • uploadfromtaptalk1335498227635.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335498227635.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 83

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,328
Posts
637,957
Members
18,531
Latest member
jvest

Members Online