Replacing speakers.

Rgorman11709

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
I have a 2005 trailblazer with a 6 disc bose xm head unit. The speakers sound kinda distorted at a decent volume. I'm eventually going to swap in a kenwood double din touch screen but for now wanted to at least swap out the speakers. Does anyone know around what wattage speakers I should stay with for the dash 3.5" and the door 6.5" front and rear. And also something with good highs. Once I put the kenwood in I'm going to put a sub in there so I'm not too worried about speakers with a ton of bass. Any recommendations and experience would help.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
If I can recommend something but it would require a little extra work, not just be drop in. I would ditch the 3.5's in the dash and put a tweeter in there, one on each side. I have that in my envoy along with another tweeter in the lower part of the A pillar and it sounds great for the high stage of it. For the doors I have 6.5" midrange speakers in there. As for power limits, are you planning to get an aftermarket amplifier for the door speakers or keep the install simple and just power it off the BOSE amp? The reason I ask is to get a better understanding and maybe even recommend an amp/speaker setup for your mids and highs.

Also just a heads up having the BOSE setup means with an aftermarket setup you need to get a fairly costly harness adapter that will make an aftermarket radio work with the BOSE setup.

If you are keeping the speakers run off the stock amp and don't want to get into some modifications then a 3.5" that is maybe around 30-40w RMS. Those 3.5's never go really high in power capabilities and TBH I was never a fan of them, I prefer to run components that have the midrange and tweeter separate. I find that components sound better when setup properly but thats my preference. You may have your own and that is perfectly acceptable.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
It should be noted also that the Bose speakers have strange impedances, and hooking up things with other impedances may affect overall quality/loudness.

1 ohm front foor
2 ohm rear door
4 ohm dash

Just something to keep in mind if you have to troubleshoot.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gunsmoke

Members Online