Replacing power steering lines and negative shop experience

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
Was I right or wrong? 2008 Trailblazer 4.2

I do what I would say is basic to lower midlevel repairs but I avoid doing much if anything during cold months. December I had a power steering hose leak from rusty lines near the shock tower. My two go to shops were booked 2 weeks out so I took it to a chain shop I don't like so much. Recommendation was to replace the pressure and returns lines, 4 hours of labor, $775 for labor and the two lines. Fine considering it was December and read the job was a pain.

A month or so ago I was checking on their work and noticed there was still a very rusty section of return line between the power steering cooler and the fluid reservoir. The return line between cooler and the rack was replaced. So I took it back to see why the full line was not replaced. After looking at my car, the service writer brought me out to my car and told me the rusty line I was looking at was the transmission line. I said no it is not. The technician came over and said it was the transmission line. Urhh, so I physically traced the line for them from the cooler to the back and bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. They admitted they were wrong and then claimed the part they replaced was only for the cooler to the rack. They quoted me $200 to do the section that is still rusted.

I attached the parts diagram I got online which shows the two sections are actually two different part numbers and calls one section the upper (from the reservoir) and the other the lower (shock tower). From the parts diagram, my rusty section is part 26087520 and they replaced 26095038 which was leaking. My invoice for their repair the did in December lists a Napa part number for the return line as 76696. I attached a visual of that part which resembles the other two referenced parts but it does not appear the same.

Did they do the job I asked and paid for or did I get shorted?

Attachments

• tb ps lines_numbers.JPG
    tb ps lines_numbers.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1751.JPG
    IMG_1751.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 23
  • napa 76696.JPG
    napa 76696.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 25
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
Was I right or wrong? 2008 Trailblazer 4.2

I do what I would say is basic to lower midlevel repairs but I avoid doing much if anything during cold months. December I had a power steering hose leak from rusty lines near the shock tower. My two go to shops were booked 2 weeks out so I took it to a chain shop I don't like so much. Recommendation was to replace the pressure and returns lines, 4 hours of labor, $775 for labor and the two lines. Fine considering it was December and read the job was a pain.

A month or so ago I was checking on their work and noticed there was still a very rusty section of return line between the power steering cooler and the fluid reservoir. The return line between cooler and the rack was replaced. So I took it back to see why the full line was not replaced. After looking at my car, the service writer brought me out to my car and told me the rusty line I was looking at was the transmission line. I said no it is not. The technician came over and said it was the transmission line. Urhh, so I physically traced the line for them from the cooler to the back and bottom of the power steering fluid reservoir. They admitted they were wrong and then claimed the part they replaced was only for the cooler to the rack. They quoted me $200 to do the section that is still rusted.

I attached the parts diagram I got online which shows the two sections are actually two different part numbers and calls one section the upper (from the reservoir) and the other the lower (shock tower). From the parts diagram, my rusty section is part 26087520 and they replaced 26095038 which was leaking. My invoice for their repair the did in December lists a Napa part number for the return line as 76696. I attached a visual of that part which resembles the other two referenced parts but it does not appear the same.

Did they do the job I asked and paid for or did I get shorted?

I think they did exactly what you were invoiced for.
The napa part 76696 is part # 11 on the diagram... and is complete. The one that wasn't changed is part 7 on the diagram and is one of the "nightmare" parts to change on this vehicle.

Edit: Upon closer inspection, Part 76696 (11 on the diagram) never touches the shock tower.... Was one of the hoses that runs across the shock tower replaced as well?

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
It looks like parts 6 and 7 on the diagram were replaced. On the invoice I was billed for Napa parts 76768 (pressure hose) and 76696 (return hose). What was not replaced was part 11 which they quoted me this morning to do for $200. I'm considering doing the work myself. Rockauto has the part for $15ish or $50 OEM. The shop wanted about $100 for the part (napa 73484) and 1 hour of labor for another $100.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
It looks like parts 6 and 7 on the diagram were replaced. On the invoice I was billed for Napa parts 76768 (pressure hose) and 76696 (return hose). What was not replaced was part 11 which they quoted me this morning to do for $200. I'm considering doing the work myself. Rockauto has the part for $15ish or $50 OEM. The shop wanted about $100 for the part (napa 73484) and 1 hour of labor for another $100.
Boy did I see that wrong....
blech....
#11 should be the easiest part to change, tbh... but I've never done it....

Reactions: wormwood1978

wormwood1978

Original poster
Jan 3, 2015
I replaced the return line from the reservoir to the cooler today. Removing the airbox and windshield wiper fluid tank made the job considerably easier.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online