Replacing front struts

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Will the shock tubes pull out of the lower arm while leaving the arm mounted to the lower control arm?

Looking to raise the front leaving the suspension hang and only remove the top bolts and the one clamping the bottom of the shock.

Attachments

• 100MEDIA_IMAG2395a.jpg
    100MEDIA_IMAG2395a.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 296

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
You can do it that way if you're desperate, on my 02 thats the only way I can get the strut assembly out because Ive seized the shock yoke on the LCA. If you can though, a pittman arm puller makes short work of the LCA<->shock yoke and its a lot easier because you dont have to push the LCA another inch or so out of the way to get the bottom of the shock out.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
So I replaced the struts yesterday, sorry I didn't get any pics since I was in a rush to accomplish the task. I removed the bolt on the sway bar link allowing the LCA to drop down enough so the yoke would slip out of the bottom of the shock tube. That sucker wouldn't come out of there no matter what i tried. :hissyfit: I used a pry bar to open the yoke, I could spin the shock around but it wouldn't move past the slot where the bolt passes...likely due to corrosion. So....off to the parts store since my pickle fork is at my dad's house so after a few good whacks it came off.

On my way to drop off the struts to get the springs swapped....I picked up the strut mounting kits from NAPA and they had 2 in stock. I get there and one had been returned after being previously installed....:mad: :hissyfit:...so off to the other side of town to get the other one. All is good and I definately recommend the Bilstein HD's, much improved ride. :thumbsup:

TB360

Dec 29, 2011
gmcman said:
So I replaced the struts yesterday, sorry I didn't get any pics since I was in a rush to accomplish the task. I removed the bolt on the sway bar link allowing the LCA to drop down enough so the yoke would slip out of the bottom of the shock tube. That sucker wouldn't come out of there no matter what i tried. :hissyfit: I used a pry bar to open the yoke, I could spin the shock around but it wouldn't move past the slot where the bolt passes...likely due to corrosion. So....off to the parts store since my pickle fork is at my dad's house so after a few good whacks it came off.

On my way to drop off the struts to get the springs swapped....I picked up the strut mounting kits from NAPA and they had 2 in stock. I get there and one had been returned after being previously installed....:mad: :hissyfit:...so off to the other side of town to get the other one. All is good and I definately recommend the Bilstein HD's, much improved ride. :thumbsup:

Billsteins are great shocks. SS Front shocks are actually Bilsteins...

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
TB360 said:
Billsteins are great shocks. SS Front shocks are actually Bilsteins...

Actually, all our OEM shocks are Bilstein shocks. But in name only. Kind of like a generic shock with the Bilstein name.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
TB360 said:
Billsteins are great shocks.
The Bilstein company sold out long ago, and they make relatively crappy units for OEM installations, and others that are worth what you pay for them for aftermarket upgrades. They're counting on folks remembering them as a quality operation, and they're really whores like everybody else. Sometimes you get what you expect from the professionals, and other times you get the clap.

MrFrodo

Apr 13, 2012
How many hours labor does your typical shop charge to replace the front struts? I did the rear shocks myself, but don't have the tools or determination to tackle the front. Thanks.

Dec 4, 2011
MrFrodo said:
How many hours labor does your typical shop charge to replace the front struts? I did the rear shocks myself, but don't have the tools or determination to tackle the front. Thanks.

It's not really that hard except for releasing the spring to install the new shock. This is not hard either BUT it can be dangerous if you are not careful, there is a lot of stored energy in the springs. I bought a set of spring compressors and worked slow and deliberate. No Problems. However you can always take the units to shop and just have them replace the shocks in the springs and then reinstall the units.

One suggestion is to also replace the upper rubber mounts since they have been in there probably as long as the shocks. I used Shock Warehouse and was very satisfied with both Price and Service.

Here is set of how to instructions that I used to do mine. I would also plan on at least 1/2 a day, longer would not hurt either just in case.

Strut and Shock Install - Truck Test Digest

Read these over and then make the decision.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
I bought my rubber mounts from advance for $23 a piece. Struts are easy man. To rent a spring compressor its $105 but u get ur $$ back upon return. (Advance auto)

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It took Josh and I about 2 hours to do mine on Saturday. But, we did it at his body shop and had all the toys to make it much easier.

JosueLT

Nov 20, 2011
It wasn't even that long...1h and 15 mins tops, and that's cause we BS'ed a bit too. lol

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
For a first timer I always recommend doing just one side from start to finish, then the other. That way you still have one side assembled that you can reference in case you go to put it back together and can't remember where a bolt went :biggrin:

Clockman06LT

Dec 14, 2011
Just had the Bilsteins HD's installed front and rear. Great ride now, no more floating down the highway!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 12
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 11
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 11
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 14

03envoy

Dec 25, 2011
Doing mine this weekend! Hopefully it goes all well. Been soaking it all in liquid wrench everday this week. Any other tips? I bought a puller but I don't plan on using it unless I have too... Any torque specs I should follow precisely? Thanks

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher