Replacing axle bearings

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Just wondering with the G80 is there any tricks to removing the C-clip for the axle as opposed to a standard diff?

I just don't want it to fall somewhere I cannot retrieve it, I assume it will fall to the diff housing.

Also, what bearings/seals have been used with success?

Thanks.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I don't have a G80 in my TB, but I do on my GMC pickup. There is a lot less room to pull the c-clips out- I used one of those telescoping magnetic pickup tools to pull the clips out. I imagine any of the GM G80's are the same.

Hope that helps.

jham

Nov 20, 2011
They both are close in the amount of space for the c clips if you have some hemostats that what I use to pull them out and put them back in

DJones

Jan 21, 2012
St. Petersburg, Florida
Replacing the axle bearing was one of the first things I did when I bought my TB. I don't remember which one I got, but I do know that it has lasted 70,000 miles.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There's a good thread on the OS about an axle bearing replacement. Rear Axle Bearing Replacement -- Illustrated - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

The process is tricky, since you have to get the pinion shaft partially out of the way, and there's a retention bolt used as a setscrew to keep it in place. The OS thread is a regular carrier - here's a picture of my G80.

diffbolt2.jpg

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I did see that thread, thanks for the link. Looks much more crowded inside the G80 though. Will a magnet still pull the clip?

What about bearings....any particular to avoid?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Magnet or pick. It has to be possible, because people have done it. Take pictures, so you can post for helping future members.

Don't recall anybody putting in bearings that had to be replaced again, so we don't have any history. Not even on the OS.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online