Replaced TCCM - 2003 T/B

Gypsy

Original poster
Mar 5, 2014
I had all the symptoms of a failed TCCM - Service 4wd light, no switch lights after start up, and wouldn't shift out of 2hi. I removed the 2 plastic panels from under the steering column AND the panel on the end of the dash. Removing the end panel is the key to making it an easy task. I bought a remanufactured Dorman TCCM from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty for $176 with exchange of the old. I did not disconnect the battery. The new TCCM had a sticker on it with the required sequence for plugging in the 3 electrical connectors to avoid a communications error. Programming by a dealer is NOT required. On initial start-up I still had the original problem but pulling the front #8 fuse woke it up and it has been trouble free. It seems that the TCCM has a life of about 110,000 miles as this is the second replacement in 228,000 miles. I have had trouble in the past with it not shifting after several months of not turning the selector but rotating the selector switch 30 to 50 times with the vehicle off always got it working until the TCCM failed (2 separate issues). So for $176 I got a known good TCCM with a lifetime warranty and no programming needed - way to go in my opinion.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If you had to rotate the switch a lot like that, I'd bet your switch is awful flaky too if it's never been replaced. Corrosion builds up on the wiper contact and other contacts inside - a teardown would probably yield a bunch of corrosion dust from the previous runs back and forth (which helps clear the corrosion a bit).

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
dla442 said:
Just curious...tccm? Is that the four wheel switch on the dash for high, auto and four low? Thanks

Transfer case control module. Not the switch on the dash

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online