Replaced lca. Can't get sway bar link to fit in lca hole

nathanncnm

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
wi
Just wondering if anyone has run into this. I just replaced my front lower control arm and when reassembling I found that I cannot get the threaded end of the sway bar link into the hole in the lca. I haven't measured the two yet, but would it be possible that the link is too large to fit in the hole in the lca? Or am I missing something obvious? The truck is still on jack stands, would this make any difference if maybe I am just not getting correct alignment of parts?

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably the hole is too small. Could be a manufacturing defect or quality control problem with the part. If you do enlarge the hole to fit, make it exactly the same side. Any looseness will result in the bolt loosening and the hole getting egged out.

Reactions: nathanncnm

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Just wondering if anyone has run into this. I just replaced my front lower control arm and when reassembling I found that I cannot get the threaded end of the sway bar link into the hole in the lca. I haven't measured the two yet, but would it be possible that the link is too large to fit in the hole in the lca? Or am I missing something obvious? The truck is still on jack stands, would this make any difference if maybe I am just not getting correct alignment of parts?

Does the threaded part not fit in the hole? Or can't you get it to line-up and go into the hole? With the truck on jack stands, and the wheels hanging, it's hard to line-up hole and the end link bolt. Wheels need to be on the ground or up on ramps.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
sway bar links are a hassle, you have to maneuver them into the holes. Turn the threads which move with the ball joints to fit. I myself have suspension maxx sway bar links that use bushings that never gave me a problem

nathanncnm

Original poster
Sep 29, 2015
wi
I will try getting the rest of the truck put back together except for the link and retry getting everything lined up once its on the ground. Maybe its just an alignment issue between the threads and the hole. Have no experience doing endlinks so it could be lack of experience. Will bring a micrometer and ruler with just in case. Thank guys

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Whenever I do a wheel alignment (which you should do when you're done), I take the sway bar links off because if you think about it, the lower control arm is being held with resistance by them.

I know the sway bar links have movement, but it would be restricted due to the position of the lower control arm bracket.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sometimes I have had to pry on the sway bar to get the stud to line up with the hole.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I've had some issues getting it lined up well enough to push that stud through the hole too. I've used a jack to raise the control arm a bit to get it to line up before. Just ran into this on Matt's truck we worked on last weekend, actually.

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
33chevyrod

Members Online