replaced encoder motor - selector 2HI light just flashs

njs

Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Okay, I'm stumped...

I decided to replace my encoder motor, which I believe may be flaky (e.g. 2HI and 4HI are okay but I have A4WD issues). I ordered and installed a new Dorman motor, which seemed very straight forward.

However when I was done and turned on the key the 2HI selector light just flashed for like 30 secs and then went out. I don't get a "Service 4WD" light and if I turn the selector to another position it will do the same thing (i.e. flash for 30 seconds and then goes dark). Listening from below the motor is totally silent (as is the disconnect actuator).

I hooked up the old motor and everything works normally.

I hooked up the new one again and same problem flashes for 30 secs and goes dead.

I ohmed out the new motor connector and it seems okay / similar to the old one (~4 ohms on motor terminals, ~20 ohms on brake terminals and ~2000 ohms on encoder pot terminals).

I tried plugging it in just dangling (not installed on the transfer case) just in case the motor was too weak to move the transfer case clutch shaft and get same issue (selector light flashes for 30 secs and go dark, motor never tried to run).

I tried hot wiring it (i.e. energize both brake solenoid and motor) and the motor turns fine.

I'd really appreciate any ideas what could be wrong... Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee

Members Online