Replace OnStar mirror with backup camera mirror

sumemt

Original poster
May 11, 2014
I've had my 2005 trailblazer LS for 6 years now and have never used my OnStar. I'm thinking of pulling out the mirror and replacing it with one to use for a wireless backup camera. Any idea if I could wire the power for the backup mirror to the OnStar power? Is that on key power so I'm not draining the battery? I replaced my stereo a few years back and never replaced the part needed to keep OnStar, so I can't test that out myself at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mark

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Glad you came over! I commented on your post there and I see that's been the only comment lol. *tumbleweeds* but anyway, I still think that aftermarket would be simplest/cheapest. The kit would come with a mirror, camera and all the wiring and instructions. If you get a kit, I'm sure someone here could help you if you have problems. Someone else should chime in with advice, good luck!

Reactions: sumemt

sumemt

Original poster
May 11, 2014
I'm definitely going to go aftermarket, but I won't get a packaged kit. They're too expensive and the cameras are crap. I found a camera on amazon with infrared lights for pretty cheap and now I'm just looking for the right mirror. I just don't want to run a cigarette adapter down to power the damn thing. If I can tap into the OnStar power, that would be great!

Reactions: Mounce

sumemt

Original poster
May 11, 2014
My mirror doesn't have lights. I have lights right above the mirror though... The OnStar buttons still light up, and the passenger airbag notification works fine, so I know the mirror definitely still has power going to it.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Then I would think you could cut the connector off, find the/a key on 12 volt supply wire and a ground, then trim the other wires back and tape the ends or something and you'll be good. Just gotta get the video wires routed somewhere outta sight.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If the system is wireless, front-back wiring is a non-issue. If it's wired, I would suggest dropping the headliner and using that pathway. I'm not sure if there is room enough for another wire or two in the rubber hose running from the body to the liftgate, but that'd be your path in if it's one of those you mount on the license plate mounts or something.

Pin 13 (pink wire) running to the mirror. That's +12V fused from IGN E (Fuse 22 Underhood, 10A). That means it's full-time hot. Pin 8 (black) is your ground. This is under the auto day/night mirror diagram, not sure if these are present without that option. If they are, hopefully you have Pin 9 (light green) wire, too. Voltage is supplied to this pin when the vehicle is in reverse, this could be your ticket for automatic on/off.

If your RPO code list in the glove box has DD7, you DEFINITELY have all three of these wires. If not, look at the connector. If you don't have the Pin 9 wire, you will have to rig up a switch or find another way to auto-engage, as it's doubtful you could just tap into the pin used on the BCM for this (a bunch of other things which would be upgrading from the low-end OEM to high-end OEM, like fog lights, also requires a BCM flash).

Reactions: sumemt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fiddlermatt

Members Online