removal of front diff

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I have this 4.2 and I need to remove the front diff, only I am slightly retarded and dont have a manual for this, I don’t even have a trailblazer anymore I just want to remove the diff to get rid of it. I have removed all of the bolts going into the oil pan and it does not want to come off, I refrained from applying excessive force as to not break something. I think I am missing something or is there a trick I do not know. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

DSC01980_zpsaa831463.jpg

DSC01979_zps7506adfc.jpg

DSC01978_zpsf9fc41ae.jpg

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
so why do you still have the motor? what is the plan, will we see a 4.2 powered snowblower soon? or is this destined to be a coffee table?

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
the roadie said:
When all else fails, what's left besides excessive force? Penetrating oil on the interface may work in a day or two if they're corroded together.

Ha, well i figured there was some secret trick, i used a pry bar a bit and it did not budge, figured you had to say a special chant and do a heel click or something.... I guess a big hammer it is!

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
meerschm said:
so why do you still have the motor? what is the plan, will we see a 4.2 powered snowblower soon? or is this destined to be a coffee table?

well.... I have 2 backups for the 1 i have in a car..... yes car. I plan to break 1 or 2

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i'd guess a pipe through the axle tunnel, try to tap it out

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Have you removed the spline disconnect from the passenger side and pulled the intermediate shaft out?

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
Regulator said:
Have you removed the spline disconnect from the passenger side and pulled the intermediate shaft out?

the disconnect is missing but there is a splined shaft, have not tried to remove it yet
DSC01987_zps910d3b25.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Regulator said:

wish i had it, not sure i will even be able to get rid of this diff, not sure which one it is

bravad'oh

Sep 15, 2012
You are only missing HALF of the disconnect. The piece that is there will just pry off but you do want to be careful. Pry a little at a time in at least two opposite spots. I imagine the diff will come off the same way.

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
yesterday i pulled that sprocket off and i threaded a bolt into the splined shaft inside the pan, the shaft still did not want to come out and i tried again to pry the diff off but it did not budge or even try to move, there is something i am missing, i just downloaded the manual and will see if it gives a diagram

bravad'oh

Sep 15, 2012
You should look at some of the front disconnect repair threads. They will show you how to get that off but I can see from your pic that all of the bolts that hold it on are removed. It is now only being held in by the friction fit. They also corrode a bit which makes them a little tougher to get out. Just get a bar in behind there and work it off. Like The Roadie said, some penetrating oil might help and even a little heat.

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I did get this off, it does take a fair amount of force, wedges etc. Now i have to try and figure out what the gear ratio is, it may have to be torn apart.....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Gear ratio can be observed by rotating the input ten times, let's say, and seeing how many times the output turns. Make sure both outputs turn together so you aren't rotating the spider gears as well, or else you have to compensate for the carrier action.

Original poster
Oct 13, 2012
I had tried that when it was on the engine but it was not working out, (ie the spiders were rotating and stuff wasnt adding up or consistent ) now that i have it out i was thinking if i put the axel into the pass side.... will I get a direct correlation on the side that does turn? Sorry, i am more familiar with spools and lockers :confused:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online