Relay by brake pedal

muddy tires

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Can anybody help me identify the relay to the left of the brake pedal? It is marked Tyco VBA 2040. It seems to have something to do with the driver's side power seat because the seat stopped working and the relay clicks whenever I press the memory seat or seat heater buttons. Also it sometimes just clicks over and over, even after the key has been out for quite some time. Thanks in advance for your help.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Do you have the power adjustable pedal option?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't see it yet in the schematics, but it may be a different system than where I'm looking. Can you get a picture (in-focus please - I know it's hard) and a description of how many wires on the connector that goes to it and their colors? Thx.

muddy tires

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well, I stood on my head and grabbed the following photos. I think there were 8 wires in the harness, but it was hard to tell as the plug was on the back and it was pretty tight down there. Hope this helps.

Relay1.jpg

Relay2.jpg

Relay3.jpg

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Doesn't look factory. The tape is not factory wrapped, the connectors are not GM connectors.

An alarm system perhaps?

Can you trace the wires that are in one of the connectors?

muddy tires

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
You can't actually see the connector in the pictures. They are plugged in to the side opposite from where you see the writing and the little schematic.

To my knowledge there isn't a non-factory alarm. We purchased it from the dealer and it was driven by the sales manager as his company car. The only non-factory electronics that I have had added is a Prodigy brake controller but I don't think there is any relay - only wires to be spliced.

The wires coming out of the relay are swallowed by a loom. Not untraceable, but not trivial either.

It seems to have something to do with the driver's power seat or the memory for the different drivers as it starts clicking when you try to move the seat or push the memory buttons. The driver's seat won't adjust and the heat doesn't work. The passenger side adjusts but no heat either. The power adjustable pedals seem to work.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Press the lock button three times and see if the truck remote starts. Do you have a pin under the hood?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The schematic on the package matches the unusual dual-coil design of the EAP (electronically adjustable pedal) option. Pull front fuse 53 (I6) or 57 (V8) and see if it quiets down. The position also matches the picture in the shop manual to the left of the brake pedal pivot.

muddy tires

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
My apologies to the group. I have been remiss in updating this thread. I pulled the EAP fuses (actually they were 49 and 59) which stopped the pedals but not the relay.

Further reading led me to the screwdriver in the track solution which I tried even though them problem sounded more electrical than mechanical to me. Sure enough, the seat came back to life - including both heaters! And the clicking has stopped.

I wonder if that relay conrols the driver memory functions which could explain the large number of wires and the fact that it continues to run with the key out. (Easy exit works after the key is removed.)

Guess we didn't solve the mystery, but at least my wife's seats work again. Thanks for everybody's help.

Plcozad

Apr 1, 2013
muddy tires said:
Can anybody help me identify the relay to the left of the brake pedal? It is marked Tyco VBA 2040. It seems to have something to do with the driver's side power seat because the seat stopped working and the relay clicks whenever I press the memory seat or seat heater buttons. Also it sometimes just clicks over and over, even after the key has been out for quite some time. Thanks in advance for your help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhendsbee