Regular engine running temp?

UncleMoney

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well I hooked up the scanner which is telling me I have a bad engine coolant temp sensor. My envoy always sits on the middle of the 2 so a few ticks to the left of the 210 marker. Was wondering what your guys voys/tb's run at? And my vehicle runs fine is this something I should worry about replacing right away?

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
UncleMoney said:
Well I hooked up the scanner which is telling me I have a bad engine coolant temp sensor. My envoy always sits on the middle of the 2 so a few ticks to the left of the 210 marker. Was wondering what your guys voys/tb's run at? And my vehicle runs fine is this something I should worry about replacing right away?

Mine runs right over 210 and my obd2 torque app shows 207degrees almost constant. I have never had any sensor issue come up. In my old LT the readings were almost exactly the same. Is it a clearable problem on the ECU just to rule out a hiccup in the system.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mine actually sits a line to the right of center.

The code can be set if the engine takes too long to get up to temp. Even if it reaches the correct temp.

The temp gauge isn't linear. So a couple ticks to the left of center can be 180 degrees, IIRC.

UncleMoney, what is the actual code your getting?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Mine runs straight at 210 on the gauge. On Torque it runs from 206-212 depending on conditions.

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
:iagree: I recently got the T-stat code that said the engine wasn't getting hot enough. It was reading ~180 on the scanner. I replaced the T-stat and it now reads ~210.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
A couple of ticks left of center on the guage is 180 F and eventually the ECU will throw a code. Something you're not going to notice if you glance at the guage while driving. Eventually the computer is going to throw a code that it took too long to get up to operating temperature. If you don't have a Scan Guage to read out the actual temperature you can clear the code (with a usually free scan at one of the auto parts places) and see if it comes back. Or just go straight to a t-stat replacement.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

UncleMoney

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
It's never read me the temp b4 but I have cleared the code and then it would come back later as I was driving!

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
The dash board temp gauge is far from being accurate on our platform. I would suggest finding another method (torque app or scan gauge) and check your true temp. I would personally trust the code over the gauge and replace the t-stat.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
UncleMoney said:
Was wondering what your guys voys/tb's run at? And my vehicle runs fine is this something I should worry about replacing right away?

39fcc1b0.jpg

206° per my scan tool. This was taken after I replaced the thermostat.

My mpg tanked when I got the P0128. So fixing it something that I would do sooner then later.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
MAY03LT said:
39fcc1b0.jpg

206° per my scan tool. This was taken after I replaced the thermostat.

My mpg tanked when I got the P0128. So fixing it something that I would do sooner then later.

Your 'scantool'? That curiously looks just like a TECH2 screen to me!! :salivate:

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Your 'scantool'? That curiously looks just like a TECH2 screen to me!! :salivate:

It is! Lucky b@stard right?

As for normal temp, anything from 199-207F is normal for the I6. Above or below this means you need to change the t-stat or look into other engine issues.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
ScarabEpic22 said:

:yes:

What would make it the awesomest scantool is unlimited access to TECHLINK for flash updates, etc. AFAIK you have to be a special person (not Corky from Life Goes On special) to have access to it.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
:yes:

What would make it the awesomest scantool is unlimited access to TECHLINK for flash updates, etc. AFAIK you have to be a special person (not Corky from Life Goes On special) to have access to it.

No kidding, but at that point Id rather have one of the better cables for flashing (think they're Mongoose or something like that). It sure would be nice to run an 05 OS on my 02 truck, oh well.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
What would you guys suggest for an economical scanner that gives real time temp? My gage reads two ticks to the left since I replaced the thermostat. I purchased a new sensor and will be buying another GM thermostat but was hoping it was only the sensor. BTW, I never had an SES light come on for temp. related issues.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Scan Guage II. Read up to four engine Paramaribo at once, create custom gushes, read and clear error codes.

About $150.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Your 'scantool'? That curiously looks just like a TECH2 screen to me!!

ScarabEpic22 said:

That's how I roll:cool:

gmac310 said:
...I never had an SES light come on for temp. related issues.

Have you checked it for codes since the original thermostat replacement? I didn't get the SES light in my 03, but when the gauge only went up to two ticks left of center, it had a P0128 in the pcm memory.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
Have you checked it for codes since the original thermostat replacement? I didn't get the SES light in my 03, but when the gauge only went up to two ticks left of center, it had a P0128 in the pcm memory.

Yes I have. I had the light come on for the camshaft position sensor but that was the only code in there.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Gmac,

The most economical scanner is the Torque app for your smartphone. The full version is about $5 and a bluetooth adapter can be had on Ebay for about $20 for a cheap Chinese one that I use and have no problems with to about $100 for a non-Chinese made one.

The app does pretty much everything you want, check and clear codes, get real-time data including O2 sensor.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
Gmac,

The most economical scanner is the Torque app for your smartphone. The full version is about $5 and a bluetooth adapter can be had on Ebay for about $20 for a cheap Chinese one that I use and have no problems with to about $100 for a non-Chinese made one.

The app does pretty much everything you want, check and clear codes, get real-time data including O2 sensor.

Smart phone, what's that?! :undecided:

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I changed my T-stat last winter after running to cold. I still having issues about bad milage.

Mine is almost constantly running at 91 C 196 F and sometimes go up to 94C 201F, Is that too low????. I have the Tourque app in my phone to check the temp.

Is there anything else that would cause it to run at to low temp, should i change the tempsensor as well??. Maybe it is sending the wrong temp to the PCM.

If my memory isnt failing on me i think the OEM stat was marked 88C 190F but im not sure.

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
I was surprised as well. The T-stat is rated for 190F so I thought the engine would run a little over that when the T-stat opened. My engine runs ~210F (both gage and scan tool) when the T-stat is opened.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
I think you guys are confusing a t-stat as some kind of relief valve. The temp stamped on it is when it opens so the engine can warm up faster without having to circulate all the coolant in the radiator. Engine temp is ultimately controlled by the mixture ratio of the coolant, the cooling capacity of the radiator and efficiency of the cooling system.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Matt said:
Gmac,

Be careful, the ones from China - like the ELM327 I bought - come DOA a lot of times according to reviews on the web and the return policy of the China ebay sellers are atrocius. You'll be out $30. In my case, the ELM327 from China worked about 1/2 dozen times and now its dead. :mad:

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
GMAC,
My prior experience with engine temp had been with diesel engines. The T-stat was stamped 190F. You could watch the engine temp on a scan tool rise from ambient to a little over 190, then the T-stat would open, and then the temp would settle back down to ~190F. I was surprised it was not that way on the TB.

Dozer22

Dec 17, 2011
P0128 this code is good for about once every month to pop on... is this an indicator of a bad tstat? i believe on the OS i read that it was. my temp gauge also sits about 2 clicks left of 210 all the time which ive read is also another symptom of a bad tstat.

ScarabEpic22

Nov 20, 2011
Dozer22 said:
P0128 this code is good for about once every month to pop on... is this an indicator of a bad tstat? i believe on the OS i read that it was. my temp gauge also sits about 2 clicks left of 210 all the time which ive read is also another symptom of a bad tstat.

If you have the code and your temp gauge is reading at least 1 full tick left of 210, then yes you really should replace the tstat. Also, the coolant temp sensor has been known to go bad as well. If it goes, then the gauge will read incorrectly, but the tstat will operate normally. Usually its the tstat, but I remember on the OS that the temp sensor went out more than a few times.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Be careful, the ones from China - like the ELM327 I bought - come DOA a lot of times according to reviews on the web and the return policy of the China ebay sellers are atrocius. You'll be out $30. In my case, the ELM327 from China worked about 1/2 dozen times and now its dead. :mad:

Luck of the draw I guess. Mine's still going strong.

Guenther

Dec 7, 2011
Matt said:
Luck of the draw I guess. Mine's still going strong.

Same here. I got 2 of them and they both work great but could have just as easily received 2 bad ones. It was worth the gamble for such a low price (less than $20 each) and I also bought from a U.S. seller on eBay so I could return quickly if they were DOA. Love the Torque application for Android too.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Guenther said:
Same here. I got 2 of them and they both work great but could have just as easily received 2 bad ones. It was worth the gamble for such a low price (less than $20 each) and I also bought from a U.S. seller on eBay so I could return quickly if they were DOA. Love the Torque application for Android too.

FWIW, I might buy another one, because IIRC I paid ~$25 and I really liked using it with the Torque app too.

On another hand, I was re-reading this thread and wondering something....

I replaced my t-stat 3 years ago or so because it finally bit the dust, stuck open, and set a P0128. I replaced with a Delco t-stat from the dealer - I bought an aftermarket one but figured I might as well do it OEM.

However, way before the t-stat went bad, and after I replaced it, my temp gauge always sets at 1 click to the left of 210. However, it gets there fairly quickly so I dont have any DTC's reporting its warming up too slowly. My Equus scan tool reports my temp anywhere from 190-198f during normal driving. I never go above 200f and it seems most members are reporting normal operating temps of 200f+ in their I6's :undecided:

EDIT: Just checked my spreadsheet, I last replaced my t-stat in 2006 @ 89,000 miles.... Im thinking it might be time for a new t-stat and CTS to get my at/above the 200f mark.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
I have a almost brand new T-stat and still dont get these 200 + temps, never have.

Could changing my temp sensor do anything to fix that or is it pointless??.

Where is it located?, i have this barley broken in spare engine to pick from.

I could check my Haynes manual but does someone know.

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
Harpo said:
I have a almost brand new T-stat and still dont get these 200 + temps, never have.

Could changing my temp sensor do anything to fix that or is it pointless??.

Where is it located?, i have this barley broken in spare engine to pick from.

I could check my Haynes manual but does someone know.

The temp sensor is located right next to the t-stat. I say if you're going to change the sensor, you may as well replace the t-stat again. Did you use OEM because there seems to be some confusion on what the proper operating temp of the stocker is and if Stant or the other aftermarket brands match it properly.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
gmac310 said:
The temp sensor is located right next to the t-stat. I say if you're going to change the sensor, you may as well replace the t-stat again. Did you use OEM because there seems to be some confusion on what the proper operating temp of the stocker is and if Stant or the other aftermarket brands match it properly.

OK thanks
I got a OEM t-stat it was marked with 88c /190f.

My old t-stat was stucked partly open due to a warped rubber gasket.

Before the change the temp was much lower than it is now, but i have not the same milage now that i had before the t-stat broke.
I is almost as bad as it was before i changed it.

My theory is that if the sensor for some reason is sending the wrong temp to the PCM more fuel would be used than it should, Right?

I will take the sensor of my spare engine and see what that does before i change the t-stat again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online