Recommendations for a decent winter tire.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Looking for recommendations for a decent set of aggressive tread winter tires. We do not get snow every winter and the last time summer and spring was like it was this year we got slammed. These would only be used during winter so a set of re-treads seem to be what I'm going towards. I do not plan to do any heavy off roading, just some mud in the woods and the occasional snow.

My other issue is I want either 265/70-16, or 265/75-16 tires. Looking at TreadWright the Guard Dogs will work with the 265/70 and put me at 31" tire height. Having the 3.42 gears I am trying to stay away from the 32" size. I guess im looking for a tire that will give me good on road ice and snow traction with the occasional need to maybe drive off road in the woods.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
do you have dedicated summer tires, or are you looking for a do it all tire? I love my scorpion atr's all year round, but have thought about another set with grabber UHP's for the summer. If its a winter tire only, look for a name brand set. If you want agressive look at the nitto's or BFG mud terrain. I couldn't ride those in the summer though.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
I am impressed with my Cooper LSX Plus tires. They performed well last winter in the snow and ice. They also do well in the rain. There is no noticeable road noise on the highway either.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
tblazerdude said:
do you have dedicated summer tires, or are you looking for a do it all tire? I love my scorpion atr's all year round, but have thought about another set with grabber UHP's for the summer. If its a winter tire only, look for a name brand set. If you want agressive look at the nitto's or BFG mud terrain. I couldn't ride those in the summer though.

My current tire is a General Grabber AT2, which has done pretty well for me so far.

dmanns67 said:
I am impressed with my Cooper LSX Plus tires. They performed well last winter in the snow and ice. They also do well in the rain. There is no noticeable road noise on the highway either.

Will look into them. Not worried about highway as we have no plans on going out of the area this winter. We are way overdue for a good snow this year, last time we got hammered with over 3.5' for the winter. For this area its usually about 3-5".

I guess I am looking for a more agressive tire. $500-$600 is my price point, as much as I like BFG or nitto I could buy 2 for that price.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Bridgestone Blizzax DM-V1 and get a set of steel wheels so you don't have to mount and dismount them.

I know you stated you want mud, ice, and snow so there's going to be a compromise somewhere. Mud tires need to evacuate the mud from the tread, snow tires need to hold the snow in the tread.

I have a set of the DM-V1's and they are the most amazing winter tire I have ever used, ice traction is good, snow traction is mind-blowing.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Those Scorpions look sweet. Thanks to gmcmans advice I am now looking at more of an AT tire. The ones I currently have are really good but I want the extra width and height. I also have some sweet wheels that I want to use.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
blazinlow89 said:
Will look into them. Not worried about highway as we have no plans on going out of the area this winter. We are way overdue for a good snow this year, last time we got hammered with over 3.5' for the winter. For this area its usually about 3-5".

I guess I am looking for a more agressive tire. $500-$600 is my price point, as much as I like BFG or nitto I could buy 2 for that price.

I see you are about 130 miles South East of me, so I am sure we have similar winter weather. Last year we got quite a bit of snow and ice. Definitely more than I am use to since the winter before last was spent in NC. After moving to WV, buying tires with more aggressive tread was one of the first things I did for my TB and the wife's F-150.

I only mentioned road noise incase you do a lot of highway driving. Exhaust drone and tire road noise and about the most annoying issues when it comes to driving on the highway for me (Also stupid drivers :no:). Below is a pic of the Cooper Discoverer LSX Plus tread pattern. I bought them at Merchant's Tire. They had a buy 3, get one free sale. I want to say they were around $150 per tire. They are rated for 65,000 miles.

View attachment 30588

Attachments

• $T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlwFBRtdoYfN1Q~~60_35.jpg
    $T2eC16d,!)0E9s37HlwFBRtdoYfN1Q~~60_35.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 251

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
dmanns67 said:
I see you are about 130 miles South East of me, so I am sure we have similar winter weather. Last year we got quite a bit of snow and ice. Definitely more than I am use to since the winter before last was spent in NC. After moving to WV, buying tires with more aggressive tread was one of the first things I did for my TB and the wife's F-150.

I only mentioned road noise incase you do a lot of highway driving. Exhaust drone and tire road noise and about the most annoying issues when it comes to driving on the highway for me (Also stupid drivers :no:). Below is a pic of the Cooper Discoverer LSX Plus tread pattern. I bought them at Merchant's Tire. They had a buy 3, get one free sale. I want to say they were around $150 per tire. They are rated for 65,000 miles.

View attachment 17406

Last year we got a dusting and one that gave us 2". Our anomaly are the rivers and the bay, sometimes they seem to keep the air warm and the snow comes down as rain, other times they keep the air moist so we get the big screw you with the snow. I like the Coopers, I also looked at a set of Federal's, Mastercraft's, some different General's, the Perelli's, and a few others. I think I am just confused being that I am tire shopping again after just buying the AT2's not even 6 months ago.

I hear you on the exhaust drone and tire noise. Usually rocks everyone else in the truck to sleep, I open the window and turn the radio on.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
What's your budget and brand biases? I study these tires religiously.

Generally I would say

Cheap: Winterforce, Altimax(general)

Great: Xice, blizzaks

Top: Nokian, anything studded(if laws permit)

Wife has Xice as as they perform better in slush (salt+<20*F= wet)
Blizzaks do great in the loose, winterforce is a great budget "I've got winter" tire

Nokians are designed in Scandanavia. Enough said. They are my #1 choice hands down. Doubt studs will do for you.

There are differences in winter tires, and yes I have driven on many in various conditions. All seasons don't cut it in real dedicated snow driving, and dedicated snows get eaten up when the temps above 40F.

Edit: I've experience ATs as well. Deeper or fresh snow they work ok to go forward but suck at stopping. You need siping not tread spacing. Continental makes a reputable winter tire now that I am not a fan of the tread design. After seeing your budget, have to suggest General Altimax or Firestone Winterforce.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
After looking at tires, I think the AT2's that I have should be sufficient to get me through anything that is a problem this winter. Looking back at how far I got with my old Fuzion XTi's, which can not even begin to compare to what I have. On the other hand as it has been pointed out with road noise and such, I will likely be picking up something like the Pirelli's, it has the AT ability with a tread design that would be quite on long trips.

I think I seen some shiny off road tires and wanted a set for winter, after comments here and research realized they are not good for traction on the road with ice and snow. I think my priority has changed a bit, while a set of tires whose soul purpose is snow could come in handy. I think the better choice for me in the long run would be an AT with a less aggressive pattern than I already have, that can be good for the highway.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
After looking at tires, I think the AT2's that I have should be sufficient to get me through anything that is a problem this winter. Looking back at how far I got with my old Fuzion XTi's, which can not even begin to compare to what I have. On the other hand as it has been pointed out with road noise and such, I will likely be picking up something like the Pirelli's, it has the AT ability with a tread design that would be quite on long trips.

I think I seen some shiny off road tires and wanted a set for winter, after comments here and research realized they are not good for traction on the road with ice and snow. I think my priority has changed a bit, while a set of tires whose soul purpose is snow could come in handy. I think the better choice for me in the long run would be an AT with a less aggressive pattern than I already have, that can be good for the highway.

I loved my xti's! 62k miles on em! And my mpgs went up when they started getting down to the wear bars this spring. Stick with your General ATs. Have yet to try or ride with Fuzions new tire. Snow tires don't like doughnuts either :rotfl:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
I loved my xti's! 62k miles on em! And my mpgs went up when they started getting down to the wear bars this spring. Stick with your General ATs. Have yet to try or ride with Fuzions new tire. Snow tires don't like doughnuts either :rotfl:

They performed well when we had our last good snow. Was able to maintain a speed of 50mph on the main roads, and got me out of some good stuff. Only got stuck twice. I will say that even on the highway the XTi's kicked ass, running down 95 with about 5 inches of fresh snow they performed excellent. This is when I found out that NC apparently does not own a single snow plow.

Forgive me, as I am being very indecisive right now.

I think I am going to go with a 265/70/16. As much as I want the extra 1" of tire, I do not need it (265/75/16). The extra width should help with traction and handling at higher speeds.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
If you want a dedicated winter tire, I have to suggest going skinnier/taller.

But it is you that has to look at them. :raspberry:

Extra width is not always the best variable in wet conditions as weight of your tire "footprint" is dispersed thus making you lighter per square inch of contact. Less weight, less friction, more wheelspin/hydroWHOAplanning. My .02.

We're talking very little difference, driving habits dictate performance more than anything else I believe. And there's a reason the Inuits have over 200 words for snow:wink:

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
More then likely if I ever start running a dedicated winter tire it will most likely be a nokien or the Yokohama geolandar I/T. I have 2 good Yokohama here already from my former bosses truck so I may buy some steel winter wheels and some markmc spacers to run them. Im thinking ill live without the tpms sensors during the winter unless I can be sure that they will work on the steel wheels.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Darkrider keep checking local craigslist and classifieds for wheels, order adapters instead. I have found a few sets of wheels in the last week all for less than I would have paid for a set of steelies.

On another note I ordered the Pirelli ATR's. Found them on Tirerack for $129 each, with a $70 rebate. I sent a price match thing to Discount tire and they beat the price with shipping, gave me the $10 off each tire, and I still get the $70 mail in rebate. Total price after shipping, $548, So $478 after rebate. Local Mr.tire wants $256 each, original price on discount tire was $214 each.

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
im on my 2nd set of Pirelli scorpion ATR's and have been satisfied. I drive real hard in the summer, and they grip and grab like a touring tire, and I plow snow with my truck in the winter :eek: and they do just fine. I even did a lot of my driveway plowing in 2WD. One thing to note is they have a heavy duty sidewall, that gets really stiff when sitting in below 32 degree weather overnight. You can minimize that by keeping 36-40 psi in them in the winter. I keep them around 40 psi all year round, but if you don't like the stiffer ride you can go down to 36-37.

blazinlow, what size did you end up going with? I have the 255/70/16.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
Darkrider keep checking local craigslist and classifieds for wheels, order adapters instead. I have found a few sets of wheels in the last week all for less than I would have paid for a set of steelies.

On another note I ordered the Pirelli ATR's. Found them on Tirerack for $129 each, with a $70 rebate. I sent a price match thing to Discount tire and they beat the price with shipping, gave me the $10 off each tire, and I still get the $70 mail in rebate. Total price after shipping, $548, So $478 after rebate. Local Mr.tire wants $256 each, original price on discount tire was $214 each.

I actually have a set of 16" "Sawblades" from my Sierra I could use with adapters. The problem is that the Yokohama are 17" So I guess I could watch for some fsc 17" wheels.

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Take a look at the cooper discovery at3, I know at few that have then and say they are good in snow.
ubanahu8.jpg

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Nokian Nordman SUV...great tire, and it's studdable (ours are studded).

Works great in mud/ice/snow, too...I've taken my truck off road pretty far in the snow in search of good cross country skiing :wink: The only slightly annoying thing about them is the directional tread pattern.

SaabScott

Jul 11, 2013
I have yet to drive a winter with my 9-7X, so I will save actual reviews on tires for the truck until that time.

I did manage to find a set of 4 Pirelli winter tires for a whooping $130. They should be good for 2 winters.

Stay tuned for results ...

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
Nokian Nordman SUV...great tire, and it's studdable (ours are studded).

Works great in mud/ice/snow, too...I've taken my truck off road pretty far in the snow in search of good cross country skiing :wink: The only slightly annoying thing about them is the directional tread pattern.

Side note, any quality snow tire will be directional, just as summers are. The QUALITY tires. It helps with stopping more than anything and the siping is designed and works much better in a directional design. Try driving with them on backwards! you will feel a difference!

Also, we in the states have to be careful with studs. Once you drive on them without studs, it is highly recommended not to stud them. They don't seat properly in the fitted holes once on the road studless... still the Nokian Nordman is a great tire even without studs!

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Studs are illegal in MD except for the few counties in western MD.

I like the ride with the Pirellis. Just need to get use to having a soft sidewall.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Every time I see the title I think about tires that are not fit for polite company.

they smoke, drink, and swear.

indecent tires

probably have cord showing.:rotfl:

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
I run Bridgestone Blizzak tires on my trucks in the winter. They work great on ice and snow.:thumbsup:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Playsinsnow said:
Side note, any quality snow tire will be directional, just as summers are. The QUALITY tires. It helps with stopping more than anything and the siping is designed and works much better in a directional design.

I came back here to post this exact same thing....about the stopping.

This is where you get your return with snow tires, accident avoidance. Just about all good tires will go in snow, especially 4WD, but when that car pulls out in front of you, a true winter tire is what you want and will stop pretty fast in most cases. I can't count how many times I needed to stop with an all-season tire but once I used the Blizzaks, there was no comparison.

Hard-packed snow, almost ice, these tires grab almost like it's a wet road. All it takes is one good tap and the insurance takes the price difference of the premium tire. Plus it's fun as all get out to drive with them. :yes: Blizzak DM-V1, I said it again. and they are fairly quiet for a snow tire but don't expect 60K out them.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
gmcman said:
I came back here to post this exact same thing....about the stopping.

This is where you get your return with snow tires, accident avoidance. Just about all good tires will go in snow, especially 4WD, but when that car pulls out in front of you, a true winter tire is what you want and will stop pretty fast in most cases. I can't count how many times I needed to stop with an all-season tire but once I used the Blizzaks, there was no comparison.

Hard-packed snow, almost ice, these tires grab almost like it's a wet road. All it takes is one good tap and the insurance takes the price difference of the premium tire. Plus it's fun as all get out to drive with them. :yes: Blizzak DM-V1, I said it again. and they are fairly quiet for a snow tire but don't expect 60K out them.

:iagree:

Xice is a favorite too. Rated slightly higher in wet slushy conditions, which here in MN happens at 15*F and salt. Blizzaks are better on the hardpack icy stuff and Firestones take the cup for the "deep" snow rating.

You may be able to get 60K on Blizzaks if you drove it all on snow and did not stop or spin the wheels. With a rotate every 5-8k miles :rotfl: But then again most snows lose their winter rubber advantage at around 4/32nds give or take.

Tofer76

Dec 8, 2011
I h yoko geolander at/s in 265/65-17 and I get a lot of snow in the winter and they work great never got stuck once last year

muddy tires

Dec 5, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
The extra width should help with traction and handling at higher speeds.

You don't want width in a snow tire. The worst driving winter vehicle I've ever been in is my brother-in-law's F350 dually. My old Chevette could have run circles around it. You need to dig down through the snow to the solid ground underneath.

And don't fool yourselves. An AT or mud tire is NOT even close to a snow tire. The tread patterns are different but, more importantly, the rubber compounds are softer for the cold weather. That's why you are required to run tires with the snowflake logo in Quebec in the winter.

I run Toyo Open Country A/T II's on my Silverado in the summer and switch to Open Country WLT1's in the winter. Even though the A/T's have a more agressive looking tread pattern, the WLT1's will run circles around them in the winter. I tow a 4-place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter and my truck needs to have its feet planted firmly on the ground in order to keep everything under control. And it's not getting stuck that's the problem, it's stopping and turning. 4WD does nothing to help that.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm glad that we aren't required to buy extra tires around here. That would tick me off so much. I know winters are better than ATs but come on...

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
muddy tires said:
You don't want width in a snow tire. The worst driving winter vehicle I've ever been in is my brother-in-law's F350 dually. My old Chevette could have run circles around it. You need to dig down through the snow to the solid ground underneath.

And don't fool yourselves. An AT or mud tire is NOT even close to a snow tire. The tread patterns are different but, more importantly, the rubber compounds are softer for the cold weather. That's why you are required to run tires with the snowflake logo in Quebec in the winter.

I run Toyo Open Country A/T II's on my Silverado in the summer and switch to Open Country WLT1's in the winter. Even though the A/T's have a more agressive looking tread pattern, the WLT1's will run circles around them in the winter. I tow a 4-place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter and my truck needs to have its feet planted firmly on the ground in order to keep everything under control. And it's not getting stuck that's the problem, it's stopping and turning. 4WD does nothing to help that.

Im sticking with the Generals for my "winter" tire. Like I said in the first post I needed something that would allow me to get through some muddy trails occasionally, but also get me through snow. The wide tire comment was after I made up my mind on buying a tire for the warmer months and using my Generals for the winter, I want the width for better handling on the highway and at higher speeds. I have Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on right now, they seem to good in the dirt. Better than I expected, they are also quite on the road. I am expecting this winter to be bad, but I managed with a set of Fuzion XTi's the last time we got slammed.

My issue right now is getting used to having tires with a soft sidewall again. Feels like riding on beach balls.

Sparky said:
I'm glad that we aren't required to buy extra tires around here. That would tick me off so much. I know winters are better than ATs but come on...

Not required, but it is nice to have a dedicated set.

daddyx2

Sep 7, 2013
firestone destination LE's...pretty aggressive for a mud and snow tire, but rides pretty smooth too.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
daddyx2 said:
firestone destination LE's...pretty aggressive for a mud and snow tire, but rides pretty smooth too.

I have these tires and have been less then impressed with them....sure they are good for powder and outperform some winter tires in that way but on packed snow or ice they are nearly useless

daddyx2

Sep 7, 2013
Then get two bags of tube sand 40 lbs each from Home Depot for the back end. I think it's like ten bucks each. And drive smart... Extra distance, don't go over 25-30 mph and be situationally aware and you shouldn't have problems unless your using this vehicle to go check your trap line in northern Canada, in which case I would recommend getting a track system like snow machines have.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
Anyone have experience with the Nokian WR G2's?

Stock size is P255/55/R18

considering these in 235/65R17 108 V XL and 255/65R16 109 H

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Excellent choice! You will not be disappointed. Nokian is my first choice for a true "winter" tire. I've had two sets, not that particular model though. Keep your highway speed at the limit when it's dry and they'll last longer. Warm 40*F days haulling down the highway will eat them up. They are designed and tested in Finland.

Edit: as far as sizing goes, unless you drive through any snowfields or snow covered forest trails, go with the wider tire strictly for looks.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
KrisE said:
Anyone have experience with the Nokian WR G2's?

Stock size is P255/55/R18

considering these in 235/65R17 108 V XL and 255/65R16 109 H

Does the 9-7X have the larger front rotors? If so then 16" wheels won't fit. I also believe the consensus is to always go narrow for winter tires, traction and especially stopping power is greatly influenced.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I didn't notice you had a saab. I've only ever really considered the Blizzaks, Michelin xice, and the Nokians. A lot of sizing options in a 17" wheel. Narrower is better when the snow is on the ground.

KrisE

Sep 19, 2013
I can get local tires outlet to match these prices, but this site offers free shipping AND I don't have to pay sales tax... considerable savings. Mounting around here is about 100. I thought I'd get some cheap winter rims for these as well.

I don't know if I have bigger rotors or not, I'll have to have my mechanic look I guess. Probably going with 17" winter tires.

I looked on that tire conversion site and of all the sizes that show in green (closest match), these are the sizes I found along with prices.

My Saab suggests: P255/55/R18 104H 18x8 6-5 40 6.01 stock rims

Probably not going with the G2's, but thought I'd include the info for others considering:
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 235/65R17 108 V XL $170.00 =$680.00
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 255/65R16 109 H $186.00 =$744.00
NOKIAN WR G2 SUV TIRES 255/55R18 109 V XL $224.00 =$896.00

Don't know much about Nordman so I guess more researching. LOVE the Hakk's but those Nordmans are much cheaper
17"
NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 SUV TIRES 235/65R17 108 R XL $173.00 $692.00
NOKIAN NORDMAN SUV TIRES 235/65R17 108 T XL $166.00 $664.00

16"
NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA SUV 5 TIRES- 255/65R16 109 T $187.00 $748.00
NOKIAN NORDMAN SUV TIRES 255/65R16 109 T $144.00 $576.00
info/prices coming from tiresbyweb
Nokian's info page for all their tires: SUV / 4x4 - Winter tires

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member