Rear z71 springs with Bilstein HD's

Morty

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
I have an 06 Envoy Denali. I ripped out my rear air bags because i was having a major leak in rear drive side bag.

I Purchased Bilstein HD's for all around to go with z71 offroad rear springs. I am encountering 1 problem.
My truck bottoms out on some bumps/dips.

Did i do something wrong?

I have not yet added the front Struts. I am waiting on help from a friend with the right tools. I also have a 2" Readylift kit for the front end. Not sure I will use the 1" spacer for the rear.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Z71 springs are stiffer than stock springs, but aren't as progressive as the air bags used to be. So perhaps you're bottoming out and your bump stops are just more firm than you remember. Can you take a picture and post it so we can make sure nobody swiped your bump stops?

You can also add Airlift1000 bags inside your Z1 springs in case you carry enough weight to need some assist, or tow often enough that you want some variable assist to deal with the hitch weight.

The Bilstein shocks should have no way of fully compressing on bumps, so I don't think they're involved here.

Morty

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
The Bump stops are still there. I did the rear swap myself and left both alone. Certain dips and bumps i get a thump in from the rear. I have one such dip/bump on my way home and is unavoidable. It is not large by any means but i get the thump none the less.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Put something under the bump stops that will tell you if they are hitting and causing your thumps. If not, it might be a binding control arm or something else down there hitting when it should not be.

Morty

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
jonbo2002 said:
Maybe the shocks are fully extending and poping because they won't go any further?

Sadly this is what i am thinking/fearing. Guess its good bye new pair of Bilstein hd's and maybe a pair of BDS's to replace.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
It should be trivial to distinguish a bump on extension from a bump on compression. Let us know when you try a few speed bumps. When you said "bottoms out" in your first post, that pretty much implied bump on full compression.

jonbo2002

Sep 27, 2012
the roadie said:
It should be trivial to distinguish a bump on extension from a bump on compression. Let us know when you try a few speed bumps. When you said "bottoms out" in your first post, that pretty much implied bump on full compression.

thats why I guessed full extention instead of bottoming out. my stock springs don't even bottom out with my 30 foot travel trailer on the back when hitting bumps. it will going through the rough terrain of my property though lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You are topping out the shocks. They are not designed to go with the Z71 and the 1.5 or so of lift they provide. This has been documented in several cases. you can buy some shock relocation mounts as Fishsticks did or get proper length shocks.

Morty

Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
You are topping out the shocks. They are not designed to go with the Z71 and the 1.5 or so of lift they provide. This has been documented in several cases. you can buy some shock relocation mounts as Fishsticks did or get proper length shocks.

Any recommendations for new shocks? Mostly a go to work in northeast. Its winter here now. I do go fishing and off road a little. Nothing like a lot of you guys do though. So something that could handle offroad and be decent for everyday use would be awesome.

Edit: I was looking at the BDS 55619. Have seen posts of others having and liking them. Are there any others anyone could suggest?

Opeth

Mar 25, 2012
Morty said:
Any recommendations for new shocks? Mostly a go to work in northeast. Its winter here now. I do go fishing and off road a little. Nothing like a lot of you guys do though. So something that could handle offroad and be decent for everyday use would be awesome.

Edit: I was looking at the BDS 55619. Have seen posts of others having and liking them. Are there any others anyone could suggest?

Bilstein 5125's is what I am running with the Z71's and 255/70 valving, 10"

OffRoad TB - View topic - Bilstein shocks for lifted rears.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online