Rear window handle delete

Me007gold

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
Removed the handle off of the rear glass. Spent like $4 on bolts, neoprene washers and two bolts. Used some paint and clear, I think it came out pretty good. Sorry for the old pictures by this is the best I could find at the moment.

Before:
DSC_0124.jpg

After:
DSC_0655.jpg



DSC_0251-1-1.jpg

DSC_0256-1.jpg


2 5/16" x 3/4" or 1" Carriage Bolts
2 5/16" Nuts
2 5/16" Neoprene Washers

Sand paper, Black spray paint, Clear coat, Razor Blade, Windex


Pretty self explanitory, Paint the bolt heads black, while the bolts are drying, remove the handle and clean the window. Depends on how old your GMT360 is there a good chance it will be filty under the handle, and you may have to use a razor blade to get the caked on dirt off. After the bolts are dry, put everything back together.
 

tbuckalew14

Member
Nov 20, 2011
380
I went to do this a while ago with some extra skulls bolts I had laying around. Looks liked hairline scratches cut into the glass outlining the entire handle...so I ended up putting it back on.
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
I remember your old right up on the OS.. I did this last year sometime using the same materials... literally $4 from home depot...
 

DJones

Member
Jan 21, 2012
701
St. Petersburg, Florida
I'm doing this mod during spring break, but only with metric bolts. Hope I don't forget anything that I plan.
 

Me007gold

Original poster
Member
Nov 20, 2011
1,106
tbuckalew14 said:
I went to do this a while ago with some extra skulls bolts I had laying around. Looks liked hairline scratches cut into the glass outlining the entire handle...so I ended up putting it back on.

I thought the same thing when I removed mine. It was just a dirt outline
 

sawicksted

Member
Dec 7, 2011
366
Adding it to the list of things to do......Looks good.

List:Rear window handle shave, Rear wiper motor replace, side marker lights for mirrors, hitch mounted spare tire holder, tow hooks, decals, cold air intake, steering rack and front suspension overhaul. That's just off the top of my head though.
 

Boricua SS

Member
Nov 20, 2011
3,080
Ohio
sawicksted said:
Adding it to the list of things to do......Looks good.

List:Rear window handle shave, Rear wiper motor replace, side marker lights for mirrors, hitch mounted spare tire holder, tow hooks, decals, cold air intake, steering rack and front suspension overhaul. That's just off the top of my head though.

Mod bug infected! Its contagious! :rotfl:
 

4wVoy

Member
Feb 4, 2012
254
just wanted to say thanks *sarcastic tone* for adding yet another thing for me to do lol, look good, for some reason the AZ sun likes to fade that black plastic handle
 

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
14,956
North Las Vegas
Good deal posting this here, for those who were not infected by the OS. :wink: We needed it over here any how.

DJones said:
I'm doing this mod during spring break, but only with metric bolts. Hope I don't forget anything that I plan.

Better to start jotting it all down.

4wVoy said:
just wanted to say thanks *sarcastic tone* for adding yet another thing for me to do lol, look good, for some reason the AZ sun likes to fade that black plastic handle

Fixed it for you.:thumbsup: It was decided to use the purple color for sarcasm. ​Just trying to keep you up to speed!
 

Foz

Member
Dec 4, 2011
38
This is def a cheap easy mod to do...Makes the back look cleaner too...I didnt think it would make that much of a difference til i did mine...I will say tho to paint and clear coat the bolts u use because i gettin some rust on mine and have to redo them...i did paint and clearcoat but only did 1 layer of clear. Def a mistake on my part.:ugh:
 

4wVoy

Member
Feb 4, 2012
254
djthumper said:
Fixed it for you.:thumbsup: It was decided to use the purple color for sarcasm. ​Just trying to keep you up to speed!

something about another mod and my need/want to mod everything i have, twisting of the arm is easy to do lol
 

Conner299

Member
Jan 16, 2013
279
Sooo... Like many people who have done this mod, I too was left with the dreaded "dirt" outline... I tried scrubbing with simple green and windex. I tried scrapping with a razor blade, and wasn't too crazy about that that idea. I decided to just give up and let it go. Then, while waxing the truck, after washing it, I had an "Ah-Ha" moment. If wax works for buffing out small scratches, then why not on the glass? Well, I'm here to tell you it does. It takes a lot of elbow grease, and a lot of wax-on and wax-off cycles. And like Tina told Ike, "Put some stank on it". Don't be afraid to wax-on and buff as hard as you can. I use Meguires liquid carnuba. Also, it might be better to do this before attaching your carriage bolts, so you don't have to try and wax around them. I was able to remove about 80% of the outline, before giving up. Arm was sore, and didn't feel like taking the catch plate off. Hope this helps someone else. I know, my bolts need repainted

 

Vicompc

Member
Dec 5, 2011
109
I found another way to do this Mod with GM parts, use the following GM part nubmers

Part # 88891771 - Nut
Part# 14047335 - Bushing

You also will need a 9mm x 10mm bolt and a 9mm washer.

The Total Cost to do this was - $18.45.

This makes it very simple to do and it takes about 5 minutes to install, the bushing will keep the nut from spinning on the glass and provides a tighter fit. I used turtle wax headlight restore to clean the back window.
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Like
Reactions: Capote

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
Vicompc said:
I found another way to do this Mod with GM parts, use the following GM part nubmers

Part # 88891771 - Nut
Part# 14047335 - Bushing

You also will need a 9mm x 10mm bolt and a 9mm washer.

The Total Cost to do this was - $18.45.

This makes it very simple to do and it takes about 5 minutes to install, the bushing will keep the nut from spinning on the glass and provides a tighter fit. I used turtle wax headlight restore to clean the back window.

I used GM parts as well from the site listed below. It says SS, but it fits all trims. The parts ran me $10 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Fits perfectly and no issue with leaking.

SS Rear Window Handle Delete Pkg SSRWHD
 

Vicompc

Member
Dec 5, 2011
109
I ordered the same parts but found the nut spun on the window. The bushing is not included in their kit, I found that adding the bushing it will prevent the nut from spinning on the glass. I paid a total of $20.14 for them to have the parts shipped without the bushing. The total cost with the retainer buying it locally and not waiting 3 to 4 days for the parts was $18.45. I'm also thinking about adding a neoprine washer on the inside to help keep the washer from sctaching the glass.
 

02TrailBlazer

Member
Jan 22, 2013
64
$2.20 from the local hardware store. And that's with 4 neoprene washers. :thumbsup:




(Though I definitely should've went with 3/4" long carriage bolts... I had to drill a hole in some plastic to get the glass to shut :lipsrsealed:)
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
02TrailBlazer said:
I had to drill a hole in some plastic to get the glass to shut :lipsrsealed:)

I had to drill out the hole on the bracket that holds the latch because the bolts were slightly bigger. I think everyone has had to modify something for this mod.
 

02TrailBlazer

Member
Jan 22, 2013
64
dmanns67 said:
I had to drill out the hole on the bracket that holds the latch because the bolts were slightly bigger. I think everyone has had to modify something for this mod.


Good to know!
 

paulcmartin

Member
May 13, 2013
235
In regards to the dirt outline, use acetone. It takes it right off. :thumbsup:
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,444
Posts
639,445
Members
18,668
Latest member
Zee0719

Members Online