Rear Hatch glass issue

kwolfe

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
So I am writing this to see if anyone else has had this problem and what they have done to correct it.
Intermittently while driving the rear hatch glass will come open. This started about a year ago and have searched on the OS and could not find anything.

I have checked the back glass and found that one side is a little tighter than the other but nothing else seems to be wrong.

Any help would be appreciated

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Have you ever used that glass? Opened it before? It is possible as one reason that the button you press to open it is jammed? When you close it you should here a click which lets you know that it is locked now! Check the button and see if its jammed or not!

kwolfe

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Trust me I use that glass more often than opening up the rear hatch door. It does latch properly, when it comes open its like someone is pressing on the rear button, which is highly unlikely since I am doing speeds in excess of 25 mph

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I wonder if it isn't quite latching. I always give mine a slight tug after I close it because I've had it not actually latch before.

kwolfe

Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
It's latched, I live in a not quite great neighborhood, so most of the time I double check. The lights are off in the VOY and when it "pops" open the lights come on. It is the weirdest thing that has ever happened to me in the Voy or any other vehicle.
:confused:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Did the envoy come with a button to pop the back glass? Not sure if any of the GMT360's has his option. Could be a loose connection somewhere. Also check the bolts holding the latch mechanism in the lift gate, one of these could be loose. It could also be something as simple as just needing some grease on the mechanism.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I don't think any year GMT360 had a remote liftgate or liftglass open button, just an unlock. The handle in the liftgate will let you open the liftgate, and only if its been unlocked first by the remote keyfob or the driver's side unlock button. There is no solenoid that unlocks the liftglass - the button just unlatches it mechanically if the button's been unlocked. I'd start with a close examination and lubrication of the latch mechanism inside the liftgate trim panel.

Here's a thread on the OS with some pics: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=58653

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Yes i agree with roadie check the latch to make sure it is getting full movement and not sticking. Lubricate it work it in and then check it again. Good luck

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
the roadie said:
I don't think any year GMT360 had a remote liftgate or liftglass open button, just an unlock. The handle in the liftgate will let you open the liftgate, and only if its been unlocked first by the remote keyfob or the driver's side unlock button. There is no solenoid that unlocks the liftglass - the button just unlatches it mechanically if the button's been unlocked. I'd start with a close examination and lubrication of the latch mechanism inside the liftgate trim panel.

Here's a thread on the OS with some pics: Newer trailvoy owners: check your tailgate window locks. - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

Figured I would ask though, not sure how some of the model years differed in options. (thinking back to the old s-10 blazers).

I'm sticking with greasing the latch, or loose hardware.

AbsoluteZero

Nov 21, 2011
See if any help: Per 04-08-66-004A

Condition: Some customers may comment that the rear liftgate window unlatches when driving on rough/bumpy road surfaces. This condition may be very difficult to duplicate.

Cause: The liftgate window latch may be the cause of this condition.

Correction: Replace the liftgate window latch. p/n 15132517

This appears to apply to 02 thru 04 models and may not apply to your unknown model year.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
AbsoluteZero said:
This appears to apply to 02 thru 04 models and may not apply to your unknown model year.

That's why we encourage members to fill in their vehicle info. :thumbsup:

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Sometime I need to figure out why I cant open my rear glass. It would suck a little having it open op on the road.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Does the button work? Maybe the actual latch mech is siezed or if that all works maybe the shocks (pistons) that are attached to the glass are siezed

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Fire06 said:
Does the button work? Maybe the actual latch mech is siezed or if that all works maybe the shocks (pistons) that are attached to the glass are siezed

Since it is nice, its a good day for a little Bravada TLC, right now I am working on the rear glass, and yes the button it seized.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Soak it with a good penitrating oil and give it time to work. Maybe days and keep reapplying:yes::yes: till it is loose.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online