Rear end problem :(

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
ok guys i need all of your help today i have and my truck break down on me. which is not good i need this vehicle for me to live. any who i was towing my utility trailer with a old hot tub on it up to the dump.
View attachment 23697
so the truck did awesome on the way up to the dump and when we got there i was told by the person at the scale to put my truck in 4X4 because there was lots of mud where i had to take the tub to so i did. 4X4worked great so i went and dropped the tub off the came back down to the scale and took the truck out of 4X4 and put it in to 2HI ok the got weighted and payed then i went to leave and all of a sud-in there was a LOUD ticking coming from the rear end of the truck so i looked for a nail in the tires and nope could not see one so i changed one and started to drive nope still there so i changed the other side and tried again nope still there so i figured ok got to go home and started to drive well the tick was so loud and got faster and faster so i stopped and figured i have BCAA and am towing this thing home and getting it fixed

View attachment 23698
View attachment 23699
View attachment 23700
SO CAN YOU ALL HELP ME PLZ I CANT SEEM TO FIND ANYTHING THAT SOUNDS LIKE MY PROBLEM AND I NEED THIS TRUCK AND IF YOU WANT MORE INFO I WILL TRY TO GET IT FOR YOU

i have the 3:42 and the G80 stock tires and rims

Attachments

• calvin iphone 063.jpg
    calvin iphone 063.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 9
  • calvin iphone 068.jpg
    calvin iphone 068.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 9
  • calvin iphone 069.jpg
    calvin iphone 069.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 8
  • calvin iphone 070.jpg
    calvin iphone 070.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 9

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
What you describe is very reminiscent of when I cracked the pinion gear on the rear end in my old S10 Blazer. I am not saying it is that it could also be the drum for your parking brake. Best thing you can do for self diagnoses would be to jack the back end off of the ground and put the trans in neutral. Try and spin the wheels to see if you can feel/hear when it clicks. Then if possible have a friend listen to see if you can get an approximate location of the sound.

When I finally got around to doing mine I found 3 teeth laying in the bottom of the diff case. What led me to the diff was the ticking sound which originally made me think drums. Well ticking became a clunking and ended up with severe jarring when the flat spot would hit the ring gear.

Not saying this is what your problem is but just giving out some info to see if it helps.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Same thing I'd do. Jack stands first, spin the tires, check the ebrake, then pull the diff cover.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Thats good news, at least it wasn't a big money repair. Rear end noises can be difficult to pinpoint when driving as it is, so many things that can make similar noises.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online