Rear end drone

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Just did my rear pinion seal. Today at work. Made sure to line everything up and counted the threads for the pinion nut. Leaving work today I noticed a drone coming from the rear whenever I'm off the throttle and coasting. Seems to start happening above 35mph and goes away as soon as I get back on the throttle. I was able to get an audio sample, just worried I might of really screwed something up.

Link to audio sample:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Did you torque the spindle nut? Just counting the exposed threads might not be good enough. I did it once by painting a line from the spindle to the nut and pinion and lined them back up after. Normally the crush bushing is replaced but can get away with this method. Might have to measure bearing preload now.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Did you torque the spindle nut? Just counting the exposed threads might not be good enough. I did it once by painting a line from the spindle to the nut and pinion and lined them back up after. Normally the crush bushing is replaced but can get away with this method. Might have to measure bearing preload now.
No I didnt torque the spindle nut. I counted the threads and painted a line. So I'm not sure what I did wrong.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Might need to be tightened just a little more. Did it feel solid, like it couldn't move around?

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Might need to be tightened just a little more. Did it feel solid, like it couldn't move around?
Like the pinion itself by hand like in and out play? Not sure didnt really check it, thought since threads seemed good and the marks I made lined up I'd be good. I'll get it back up in the air tomorrow and tighten it down bit and see if that helps hopefully thats all it needs. I would think if its droning like that it would be too tight?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Check that it can't move up and down, front to back. It should have some drag in between gear teeth.

LouisTB

Original poster
Apr 12, 2016
Tampa, FL
Check that it can't move up and down, front to back. It should have some drag in between gear teeth.
Okay will do, I really do hope you're right in it just needs to be tightened up a bit. Really do not want to deal with a whole diff rebuild

Edit: Thank you so much Mooseman!!! You were absolutely right! I got it in the shop early this morning and sure enough it had in and out play and up and down play. Tightened it up checked for play and the drone is completely gone!! Again thank you so much

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Blckshdw

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online