Rear Climate works sometimes, and sometimes doesn't

TrailseekingTB

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
I am having a problem with my rear climate.... Like I have noticed that when I am sitting parked somewhere it is working just fine... But when I take off and get going down the road, reach back and feel the vents.. nothing is coming out of them weather I have it turned on heat or air.. I turn it to level 3 with the front knob and with the back controls (with the front on rear mode of course) and still nothing when driving down the road.. I can however hear the blower running in the back of the truck.. Its really strange and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this. It has only had one other owner and he has taken great care of it I know.. and I take great care of it as well.. I just don't know what is causing it not to work while driving down the road its like a trap door of some sort falls shut and cuts off circulation or something??? thats what happened in my '91 Sierra all the time but I didn't know if these new models had that type of operation in them.. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated thanks!

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I notice mine doesn't work when I have the defrost on.
if I have it on vent, it works.
I can't remember if I have it on floor if it works or not.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Can you have someone sit in the 3rd row passenger seat as you drive, and tell you if the air flow switches to the floor vent that's down there when you take off? Sounds like something is going on with that air flow actuator (#3) or door. Here's a pic I borrowed from Roadie, if you pull off the passenger side cargo area panel, all the goodies are back there if you need to troubleshoot further. You'll need a T-50 torx bit to get the bolts out of the seat belt mounts.

rearactuators-orig.jpg

TrailseekingTB

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
navigator said:
I notice mine doesn't work when I have the defrost on.
if I have it on vent, it works.
I can't remember if I have it on floor if it works or not.

You know, I may have either had it on defrost or had it on the floor only every time that I tried the rear ..... So I'm gonna look into that tomorrow, THANKS!!!

TrailseekingTB

Original poster
Sep 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
Can you have someone sit in the 3rd row passenger seat as you drive, and tell you if the air flow switches to the floor vent that's down there when you take off? Sounds like something is going on with that air flow actuator (#3) or door. Here's a pic I borrowed from Roadie, if you pull off the passenger side cargo area panel, all the goodies are back there if you need to troubleshoot further. You'll need a T-50 torx bit to get the bolts out of the seat belt mounts.

rearactuators-orig.jpg

Thanks for the info, and the diagram I was always wondering what was going on under there.. Looks like a nightmare lol Lets hope its what navigator said and i just had it on defrost all those times or floor... I'll also have a friend ride back there in the back to make sure the furthest back are working as well. Thanks!!! I thought GM would have done away with those door designs now but I guess not. I hated my sierra I would always have to hit a huge bump to shake it so bad so it would make the door un-stick and flip over from floor to face lol thanks for the help

Oct 13, 2012
I had a similar problem and replaced #3 and fixed the problem. It is easy to get to if you remove the top part of the rear quarter panel trim

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rgoldwing54

Members Online