Rear Bumper?

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
Hey Guys,

Quick question, I've been doing some recent mods to my trailblazer and I'm wanting to change the step pad on the rear bumper. I want to change the grey one that's on my 07' LT and swap it for a black one. Do they even make a black one or do any of the other Trailblazer model pads fit my 07 LT?

#9 on the part diagram, it that helps.
 

Attachments

  • GN02660.jpg
    GN02660.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 16

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Since you're gonna be taking the pad off, why not just paint it black, and put it back on? :undecided:
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
I have thought about that but when painting a textured plastic piece I have never had one come out looking right. Any other ideas?
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
Boatman said:
I have thought about that but when painting a textured plastic piece I have never had one come out looking right. Any other ideas?

Sand it down smooth prior to painting. Did the same thing to my mirror covers and they came out great.
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
dmanns67 said:
Sand it down smooth prior to painting. Did the same thing to my mirror covers and they came out great.

Pics of the mirrors, I'd really like to do that on my TB considering I had them done on my Z71 and really liked that look.

Will an SS bumper cover fit? Since they are already black?
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
If I don't mind the texture on the rear pad can I just primer and paint it black with he same results? I'm really looking to just make that pad black as there is nothing on my TB's exterior grey
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
All of the black plastic on mine was faded so bad it looked like someone rubbed baby powder on it. On another memeber's recommendation, I picked up 2 cans of SEM Bumper Coater, ripped off all the plastic pieces and sprayed them. No sanding, priming, or clear coat needed, just wash the surfaces real good, with a degreaser if you have it, and spray on a few coats when dry.

I can't find most of the pics I took, but here's the wiper cowl and arms, as I had to do those months later when I could get my hands on a slide hammer to get the arms off :banghead:


Before
IMAG0558_zps05d13289.jpg



After
IMAG0559_zps73ceed64.jpg



IMAG0560_zpsa9e0b12c.jpg
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
Those look real clean, How long has it been since you have painted them and how do they look now? I would really like to do this to a few parts on the TB (Mirrors, rear pad, front cowl, wipers, XM radio fin, ect). Also, what color did you choose for your spray paint??
 

Black_tb

Member
Dec 6, 2011
817
Blckshdw said:
All of the black plastic on mine was faded so bad it looked like someone rubbed baby powder on it. On another memeber's recommendation, I picked up 2 cans of SEM Bumper Coater, ripped off all the plastic pieces and sprayed them. No sanding, priming, or clear coat needed, just wash the surfaces real good, with a degreaser if you have it, and spray on a few coats when dry.

I can't find most of the pics I took, but here's the wiper cowl and arms, as I had to do those months later when I could get my hands on a slide hammer to get the arms off :banghead:



i thought i was the only one who had problems with getting those things off, i tried about a month ago thought maybe they were rusted on or something
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Boatman said:
Those look real clean, How long has it been since you have painted them and how do they look now? I would really like to do this to a few parts on the TB (Mirrors, rear pad, front cowl, wipers, XM radio fin, ect). Also, what color did you choose for your spray paint??

I painted everything besides the cowl and wipers last November (Turkey day weekend), and they are still looking great, no chips, or peeling. I did the wiper pieces in March. I chose the gloss black version of the product. I do need to respray my roof racks though, I didn't put on enough coats there.

Black_tb said:
Blckshdw said:
... I had to do those months later when I could get my hands on a slide hammer to get the arms off :banghead:

i thought i was the only one who had problems with getting those things off, i tried about a month ago thought maybe they were rusted on or something

I thought mine were rusted on too. I used WD40, some silicone spray, and then went and bought a can of PB Blaster, and still couldn't get them off. Started trying to pry them off with a pry bar and claw hammer, but didn't want to damage the cowl too much. About 5 minutes with the slide hammer (and trying to not look like I was jerking off on the hood too much :redface:) and they were both off.

Edit: Here's a couple pics I took just now. Couldn't get a decent shot of the rocker panels, due to the shade.

20130726_171802_zpsb623b154.jpg


20130726_171826_zps1878495b.jpg


20130726_171852_zps94979982.jpg
 

Black_tb

Member
Dec 6, 2011
817
Blckshdw said:
silicone spray, and then went and bought a can of PB Blaster, and still couldn't get them off. Started trying to pry them off with a pry bar and claw hammer, but didn't want to damage the cowl too much. About 5 minutes with the slide hammer (and trying to not look like I was jerking off on the hood too much :redface:) and they were both off.

can you rent a slide hammer ?
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
This sounds like the route I'm wanting to go, considering I really just want the rear step pad painted. Now its just a debate of Glossy black or Flat black. I'm leaning towards flat black on the plastic parts.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Black_tb said:
can you rent a slide hammer ?

Probably. I'd check with your local autozone or advance auto parts or something. Since you could do it right in their parking lot, it wouldn't take you very long. :twocents:

Boatman said:
This sounds like the route I'm wanting to go, considering I really just want the rear step pad painted. Now its just a debate of Glossy black or Flat black. I'm leaning towards flat black on the plastic parts.

... and if you don't like it, you can just paint them the other color. :thumbsup:
 

triz

Member
Apr 22, 2013
746
I had a lot of success with the Plastic Trim and Paint from Duplicolor I believe it was from. I cleaned it with alcohol, sprayed some paint adhesion promoter and gave it a couple of coats of the Trim paint. I did my running boards and rear bumper. It looks new and has held on for over a year now, going on 2.
 

Sparky

Member
Dec 4, 2011
12,927
I got my wiper arms off just by gradual wiggling and tugging. A couple minutes each side and they popped off.

I should have painted them when I had them off to fix my wiper delay :duh:
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Sparky said:
I got my wiper arms off just by gradual wiggling and tugging. A couple minutes each side and they popped off.

Yeah, everyone I talked to about it kept telling me how easy it was, and how such little effort was needed. But for me, that just wasn't the case. Even after getting them off the first time and cleaning the posts with a wire brush, they wouldn't come off again by hand either. (I put one of the arms back on a couple notches too high and had to realign it)
 

Matt

Member
Dec 2, 2011
4,009
Smack the post with a hammer a couple of times and they should pop off.
 

Blckshdw

Moderator
Nov 20, 2011
10,657
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:hijack: I tried that too, out of frustration that the previous techniques weren't working. :bonk:

Also bought one of those small gear pullers, but the wipers were on so tight, the metal crossbar on the puller bent to the point the whole damn thing fell apart. :hopeless:
 

Boatman

Original poster
Member
Jul 2, 2013
50
Well I was finally able to locate someone in my area who sells the SEM paint, and I'm getting 2 cans of it today. I'll be sure to post picture of my TB in the next few weeks when im finished with most of my mods.

Thanks for all the help, I'm confident this will make a huge difference.
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,234
Posts
637,113
Members
18,398
Latest member
DR.B

Members Online