Rattling noise from front end (wife making me post)

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Okay, I have an '06 envoy (2nd owner) and although I don't think the noise is anything all to worry about she is paranoid that something is wrong with the front end. It does rattle down dirt roads, but I mean it is a dirt road. The big issue in all of this is that I do not own a jack I trust minus the one that came with the truck for changing tires.

Is there anything I can check on the front end without having a jack that might lead me to spotting a possible culprit for a rattling noise? I do not believe any of the front end has been replaced apart from the breaks and tires. This was an off lease car we bought around '08. It has been rear ended a couple times and has rear ended someone else although not hard enough to crack or dent the bumper on the envoy (did on the other car).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
drive it over to one of the local tire places. should be able to talk them into a front end checkup for free. there are a couple goodyear stores on Rochester road. they should be able to help you out

( I grew up in Troy many moons ago)

could be the sway bar links, (very common) does it sound off when going over bumps?

would you try to do the work yourself (and buy some jack stands and a good jack) or pay someone?

either way, having someone check it out could help you with the wife. if they give you a long list, you can talk to us.

if they say all is well, then you can show the paper to your wife.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
There use to be a number of members that lived up in that area... Maybe meet up with some of them and go over it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A squeaky rattle can also be the threaded hood stops at the front corners of the hood. Raise them up a tiny bit and see if the noise changes tone. If not, it's usually the anti-sway bar end links or bar mounting bushings. A front end shop will usually inspect for free to qive you a quote on the repair. You need to cultivate some tool-owning friends. Bring beer. :wink:

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Good call on the hood stops. Let them out a bit (unscrew them) and see if that helps. I had this happen a few times on my TB and it was definitely noisy.

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for all the good info everyone.

I do have 2 jack stands I can use if I need to. I will see about looking at the anti-sway bars and see if the bushings look worn or if I can wiggle them more than I think I should. There is a small squeak sometimes with the rattling. I will also check the hood stops (I assume these are the things that make it so the hood doesn’t close to far?).

My biggest issue with repairing cars has not been tools, as I can borrow what I don't have from people, but that I live in a place that doesn't allow working on vehicles. That all changes this weekend when I move from a townhome to a normal house with a driveway and garage. I will see what I can come up with next week when I am all moved in and let everyone know what I found.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
My rattle in the front was the sway bar end links. It only rattled when going over a bump (I live and drive on all paved roads) like a frost heave, pot hole, or when going in and out of driveways with a drainage lip. I bought mine from a dealer who offered a warranty, so it was fixed for free.

acpowell

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
Sounds like I should just replace the sway bar end links and bushings and see how it goes. I know someone you are thinking why replace if it isn't the issue, but I am sure if the origonal own drove it anything like I do then they need replacing.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
acpowell said:
... I live in a place that doesn't allow working on vehicles. ...
Glad you're getting out of that insane restriction. I lived next to a development (not in it) in Oregon that had a no CLOTHESLINE restriction, for pity's sake! What a dumb idea to have in these days of go-green and save energy and all that. Without basements, were they supposed to hang laundry in the garage on nice days? :confused:

On your other idea to just shotgun the repair - that's a slippery slope of trading $$ for troubleshooting time. Works for some folks, but it's not what the true enthusiast strives for. Can save $$ in the long run to not replace good parts.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chadla11

Members Online