rattle/clanking noise at engine shut down

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
hey guys,
Im tring to hunt down the souce of my rattle noise, it only happens when i shut the truck off, its as if something is rattling or clanking under the hood, anyone have any ideas of ares where i should start looking?

Thanks for the help

Vern

dougman

Mar 15, 2012
98tsiawd said:
hey guys,
Im tring to hunt down the souce of my rattle noise, it only happens when i shut the truck off, its as if something is rattling or clanking under the hood, anyone have any ideas of ares where i should start looking?

Thanks for the help

Vern

If it's like mine, it's the fan clutch. Because it's loosely coupled, it will continue to spin for a second or two. One test (how I found out it was mine), is when the fan isn't running fast, carefully stop it by putting pressure on the side of it with a cloth. Then have someone shut off the engine and see if the noise is also gone.

Mine makes a lot of different sounds that I thought were various bearings, belt noises, but they all ended up coming from the clutch. Mine, unlike others, has absolutely no play in it, yet it's as noisy as can be, so I suspect that it's something more than the bearing. It also doesn't engage fully, even when engine temps are above 230.

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
You might be onto something, I just recently replaced my clutch fan, and come to think of it I never herd this noise before I replaced it, maybe a faulty clutch fan?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
98tsiawd said:
hey guys,

Thanks for the help

Vern

Need more info if possible. Have someone turn engine on and off while you listen with hood open. A few items that have been known to cause noise are the struts and hood prop rod.

Remove serpentine belt to rule out accessories.

TB2004

Aug 1, 2012
Does it sound like a diesel shutting off, could be carbon build up in cylinders. Mine cleared up after several bottles of techron over a period of time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online