Rain Leak coming in onto the Front Pass Floor...

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Need Help trying to figure this one out....

I came to work today, after my truck has sat the past few days due to Hurricane Sandy. I get to work and noticed my front passenger floor is pretty wet. Pretty much right under the glovebox where the horizontal floor would start to tilt to come up to the glovebox. My window was closed. (This happened a couple months ago, thought maybe it was a fluke.) After the first incident, The truck has sat through a couple minor storms with no more leaks, but I figured I would check it today and sure enough it happened again. I have 2 OEM style carpet floormats on top of the carpet. Both mats were wet and the carpet as well. Not so much as to take a bucket, but enough to make me worried===actually about 8 microfiber towels to suck it all up. Any ideas as to where the rain might be coming in? I am mostly worried about possible mildew and/or rust damage to the floor below? (are my worries silly?)

(MODS, I apologize if this is the wrong area)

dingle

May 26, 2012
If you have a moonroof there is probably the culprit. My wifes aztek always had wet floors and it stank horrible. They have drain tubes on both sides on the front of the opening that get plugged up with dirt. You can find them if you open the moonroof and stick your head through the hole. I took an air compressor an blew them out and it cleared them out.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but nope, I don't have a moonroof. :frown:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
mikeinDE said:
Thanks for the reply, but nope, I don't have a moonroof. :frown:

What about the rubber spout on the firewall, I think it drains away water from windshield cowl area. I pulled the rubber boot off mine and stuck a 12" zip tie in there to unglog it. My understanding is if that gets plugged up then water leaks into the front passanger side floor. I know I got a pic somewhere of the boot. Look on passanger side of firewall.

Attachments

• DSC02200.jpg
    DSC02200.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 79

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
What about the rubber spout on the firewall, I think it drains away water from windshield cowl area. I pulled the rubber boot off mine and stuck a 12" zip tie in there to unglog it. My understanding is if that gets plugged up then water leaks into the front passanger side floor. I know I got a pic somewhere of the boot. Look on passanger side of firewall.

Thanks for the info on that! by the time I get out of work tonight, I will have no more light to look into this, so I will give it a shot tomorrow morning. I only hope this is the problem, sounds like an easy fix.....

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Denali n DOO said:
What about the rubber spout on the firewall, I think it drains away water from windshield cowl area.
Its function is actually the AC condenser drain. But since the AC basically runs all the time unless you specifically turn it off, to dehumidify the air to prevent window fogging in cold weather, you can get a build-up of condensate in rainy weather that makes some people think the carpet wetness is from rain water. But the zip tie unclogging trick works no matter why the water is collecting.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Just noticed my passenger floor mat had collected a few drops of water after a rain last week. I do have a moon roof, so I'll start there. My full-size GMC truck did it, too, on occasion. No moon roof, there, tho. Mayhap GMs just like to leak a bit there? :crazy:

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I had an appt yesterday at the dealership so they could do water tests to figure out why I am getting a leak on the front passenger floor. An hour passes and they come to talk to me, apparently there is a sealed moisture barrier in the door panels (?). Well mine was damaged or torn, and that is where my leak has been coming in, or so they say. So they ask for my permission to replace it and whatnot, and of course I give them the ok. I ask how much it will cost, and they say 130, which was fine cuz I was kinda scared we would be hitting 200-300 range. I just never know when It comes to being at the dealership what kinda cost they will hit me with. Another hour passes and they come to tell me it’s done. They pulled the carpet and replaced the jute (apparently that’s the technical name for the foam padding under the carpet). Now for the timebeing I have a nice gluey smell in my car. I go to pay and the cashier looks at my file, and asks if I would like to use my rewards points. My dealership has a Gold Rewards Program. I say sure why not. She crossed out the 130, punches on the calculator a little bit, and rewrites in $52!! I was like DANGGGGG. She said “apparently I am the first one to ever ask if you want to use your points cuz it was built up to 78$”. I was pretty happy about that. We shall see if the leak is indeed contained though. I am always a skeptic.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
As an update to mine, I am smelling a faint aroma of antifreeze. It's been chilly here and the heat has been on. I'm now thinking my heater core is leaking a bit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online