Radio fuse blows when ignition turned on

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
I can't figure this out. Driving home from work today jamming as usual and the radio fuse blows. Hummm. That is a first.

What is strange. Everytime I replace the fuse, it blows as soon as I turn the ignition on and I hear 2-3 chimes. Then "pop" and she blows.

I have a Pioneer AVH-P4400BH, Axxess GMOS-01, Axxess ASWC, plus an external Alpine 250W amp and 12" sub.

Anyone else experience this? Is the headunit possibly shot, or did one of the Axxess controllers give up the ghost?

Thank you.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Checking the harness for shorts may be worth a shot. Whether it's pin-to-pin (using a continuity checker to check between pins to see if any short out) or maybe a wire that's hanging and rubbed to ground or something, who knows. Doesn't the radio have its own fuse, too? I know some do, some don't, on the backside. Not honestly sure how common that practice is.

Ed H

Original poster
Oct 18, 2012
Thanks Illogic. I will pull the unit and check everything tomorrow. Just putting out a feeler. I find it strange it doesn't blow immediately, but chimes a couple times before cashing out. Hopefully a simple fix.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had a similar fuse behavior issue with my dome lights about a month ago. Fuse popped, couldn't figure out what caused it, so I replaced it. Lights came on for about 5-10 seconds, and then the fuse popped again. In my case, turned out to be one of the bulb sockets I made, the liquid tape I used to insulate the power and ground pins from each other in the base had degraded enough to allow a short. Filled the base (as well as the rest of them) with silicone instead, and all has been right with the world.

So I'm guessing you've got a damaged power wire somewhere in your harness that's touching metal and shorting out. :twocents:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Moore

Members Online

No members online now.