Radio buttons, black peeling off

GeoGoGo

Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
Upstate NY
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking at a lot of TBs and I have seen quite a few where the black paint seems to be peeling off the radio buttons and some of the a/c controls. Is this a common issue? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks for the time and have a great night!

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Common on all GM's of the near vintage.

I reckon there's replacement buttons available on eBay for decent prices, just gotta take everything apart to replace them.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
:iagree: I replaced mine with some I got off ebay years ago...but I can't find the seller now.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
Just placed an order for the Dorman 76824 kit--should be here in a day or two.

I have the 6-CD changer radio so some of the buttons don't match up as the kit is for the single CD radio, but I don't use them anyway so they're not worn. Hopefully the difference in blackness of mixing the new and old buttons won't be noticeable.

I got the knobs only a while back when that's all Dorman had available and was a little underwhelmed. The tune button didn't fit at all and the power button wasn't 'quite' right...could've been another subtle 6CD vs. single CD radio difference though.

I'm willing to gamble $25 bucks at this point because I won't have the truck long enough to justify replacing the whole system.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

DIY Fixer

Nov 10, 2015
Wisconsin
@GeoGoGo Here how I fix mine. Took black nail polish and paint right on top of the scratches and I was done. Free fix and no buying any kind of replacement buttons and waiting for shipping. My mom had a bunch of Nail Polish around I use that.

No Tyme

Jun 23, 2015
Monroe County Michigan
I picked up the Dorman help kit #76874 and only needed the on/volume knob. Should be able to find that at your local parts store.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
I installed the kit the other night and I have to say that I'm pretty impressed with the results.

A couple of caveats: the tune knob button is wrong (at least for my radio). The text is different but that's not a big deal. The bigger problem is the way it keys into the radio as it's off by about 30 degrees. Nothing a little trimming with a razor and some super glue couldn't correct. Also, the left and right arrow buttons next to the "type" button were something else entirely in kit so I didn't swap those. Not a big deal as I don't think I've ever touched them in 8 years so they weren't worn. Surprisingly, it also came with the green lens that goes over the display which I did swap even though mine was fine. I suspect most of the discrepancies are due to the 6-CD changer versus single CD versions or very minor differences in MYs. Still, totally worth the $25 IMO.

Reactions: Ziggy

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
memoremix

Members Online