Radiator Issue

wink

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
A week or so ago while looking under the hood I noticed my rad cap wasn't sitting right. As I unscrewed the cap the top separated from the bottom. Today I go to replace it and this is the result.

radcap.jpg

leak.jpg

As I'm pulling the bottom part of the cap out of the rad, it breaks apart and coolant begins flowing out and doesn't stop until my reservoir is empty. I finished pulling the rest of the cap out and now I'm trying to figure out WTF happened before I try to refill the coolant.

What would cause the coolant to basically drain out of the cap on top of the radiator? The truck had been sitting out side for over 10 hours in 30degree temps, so it wasn't hot.

wink

Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Yeah, I just read that in another thread. So I should be good to just add coolant and new cap?

moneypit

Dec 7, 2011
dam....nice looking rig! maybe 1 day we'll do that with ours, set it up for some real TrailBlazin' :smile:

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
I see alot of the plastic p.o.s radiator caps like that from chevy after time they just fall apart. Had one on a cavalier that broke off fell inside the resevoir, lotz of run getting it out super long double jointed needle nose 90* pliers :eek: say that ten times fast lol.
The siphon effect if a true statement the system is pressurized once up to temp , y pressurized? to lower the boiling point and get fluid expansion in system.... soo.. remove the cap.. and pressure.. and majority of the coolant.. lol :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.