Radiator Airflow Cover?

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Anyone using something like one of these in the winter?
The fan really doesn't need to be engaged when the temp is 13° outside. I'm just asking to see if anyone else here is using something similar.

Although, instead of buying one of those cover's, I'd probably just use a piece of cardboard with a small hole cut in the center to allow "some" airflow.
My thermostat seems to be working fine, but I'd like to see if I can get the engine to warm up a bit faster. I'm not interested in wiring an electric fan setup or block heater. Just looking for a simple, effective, and easily removable solution. If it sounds like a bad idea, then I'll nix-it altogether and be happy with what I have. It's early, so I'm bored and brainstorming.

I did a quick search here, but the results only took me back until November of 2012...and nothing was found. I searched for "Radiator Cover".

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The GM engineers in many cases were goofy and made what I consider to be poor choices, but I've always trusted their ability to design the right airflow / heat generation / thermostat system. When the temp is low, and the coolant is cold, the fan won't be engaged. If you see it spinning, it's from residual friction and you can stop it with a rag. The thermostat will take care of getting the engine to warm up at a a controlled rate. Diesel trucks used to need radiator blocking. For anybody else with a modern vehicle, it's an affectation. IMHO, as always.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Yeah, I guess I'll just opt-out of the idea. The extremely cold weather really doesn't stick around that long in my area, so my thoughts will come & go with it.

As usual, thanks for the reply, Roadie :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe102938

Members Online