Rack and Pinion Boot

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
So basically, I noticed the clamp on the driver's side steering boot came off and it's leaking something, or appears that way. However, I am wondering if it could be from just the grease and water getting in there? I checked my power steering and it's at and continues to stay at a completely normal level. However when I jacked my car up it started to drip like crazy and made a little puddle. It was a mid brown color and smelled like a burnt electric motor. I don't know if that's what is normal for power steering fluid or if it's just grease or something, but as you can see in the picture it looks like something is collecting on the bottom part of the boot. I got a new boot already but I don't want to put it on and then have it leak all over again, I saw elsewhere that the rack and pinion could be leaking but I sure as hell hope not I just dumped a couple hundred into thus thing for new end links, a front brake job, changing fluids... Etc. But if i need one, how will I know if it's leaking or not once i get the boot off?

Attachments

• IMG_20130505_142345_071.jpg
    IMG_20130505_142345_071.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 11

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
If you have any fluid in their then its leaking. You will need a new seal kit and boot.

What happened is mud got in their and chewed up the seals.

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:
If you have any fluid in their then its leaking. You will need a new seal kit and boot.

Okay! Thanks! I really appreciate it...time to add this to the laundry list!

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
CaptainXL said:

Sorry for double post, but recently it started eating entire bottles of power steering fluid, and I did some research on the subject, and most people replace the entire rack and pinion, because they said "It's hit or miss with the seal kit because sometimes the housing is so worn that you can't get it to seal either way." So, is this the case? My truck has 95k on it. The seal kit is much more cost effective than replacing the entire steering rack, but if the seals don't work and I've done all the work and I have to buy a new one anyways :confused::confused:

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
Obviously in the unlikely event that there is any damage to the housing then a new or reman unit is the only like new option. But they appear to be very expensive.

If you have the time grab another rack from a yard and rebuild it yourself. Then swap it out. Or just rebuild the one you have.

Its completely doable. Checkout our sister site for info how to rebuild the rack and to get a sense if its something you might feel comfortable tackling. This guy rebuilt his rack for $25. Sound good and he says it is easy.

http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3637

wesman43

Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
This is exactly the type of info I was looking for, thank you very much! I'll have to head to the junkyard to see if I can pick one up because I can't afford the downtime as its my ride everywhere :smile: :wootwoot: much better than buying another one

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenkick

Members Online