Quoted $175 sending unit / $550 fuel pump. Thoughts?

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Stealership quote. That's the 1/2 warranty on the sending unit. Is that fuel pump quote outrageous? The guy said it was just the cost of the part, since no extra work was needed since the warranty work gets the tank down, anyway.

mid30

Sep 4, 2012
That sounds about right. I had my indy replace my sending unit and it cost $180 and the only place he could get it was the dealer. The total price of the fix was $550 and he is a good guy and fair on his prices. The only reason I had him do it is my extended warrenty it would only cost me $50 to have him do it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Unfortunately that sounds about right. Since they're marking up the pump to the (laughable) list price they will still make out.

Dec 4, 2011
6716 said:
Stealership quote. That's the 1/2 warranty on the sending unit. Is that fuel pump quote outrageous? The guy said it was just the cost of the part, since no extra work was needed since the warranty work gets the tank down, anyway.

There are lots of places to buy genuine GM parts that you don't have to pay retail for. I was able to search your vehicle and find this fuel pump for 325.00. Still not cheap but not 550.00 either.

MODULE KIT. Fuel Pump. Fuel Tank Meter/Pump. for 2005 Chevrolet TRAILBLAZER 4WD LS (19153374)

this is where I looked first

GM Parts - Chevrolet Parts, Cadillac Parts, GMC Parts and Buick Parts powered by Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick | Nalley Buick GMC Brunswick

Here is another site with the pump listed as a W module for 294.00

GmPartsShop.com - General Motors Parts - OEM GM Parts – Chevy Silverado Parts - Factory GM Parts

By the way the part number I came up with is:thumbsup:

good luck

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
MAY03LT said:
Since they're marking up the pump to the (laughable) list price they will still make out.

funny ... when I pointed this fact out to the service writer on the telephone, he didn't find the humor in it :rotfl:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Thanks for the tips on parts sourcing.

The quote was from my dealer just right down the street. I think I'm going to call around dealers and see if it gets any better.

This repair is more than I am going to pull off myself.

Maybe I'll find a somebody who will do it for labor if I supply parts.

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
AbsoluteZero said:
Try Amazon.com

Yeah, Amazon was good to me. I purchased ACDelco's fuel level unit (SK1158) for $47 last summer. Now it's $53. Delphi's fuel pump module is listed at $255 (as other manufactures are priced slightly lower). Installed it myself with the help of my wife. But doable by any weekend warrier, none the less.

IHZ05VOY

Dec 8, 2011
When i got mine done I payed $210 for everything; this also included a new fuel line because some idiot, before I owned my voy, glued the fuel line to the tank. shop around to save money though. Funny part was that some local mechanic wanted to charge me $200 for labor and $349 for the pump, I just took it to the stealership insted :biggrin:

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Actually, I think I'm going to take this on myself.

I can get a Delphi pump with sending unit for $250 from Rockauto. The work looks like a pain, but do-able for a $475 savings.

There are lots of youtube videos, and a pretty thorough write-up on the OS.

Thanks for the input, all. I'll let you know how it goes ... though I need a new windshield and at least two tires first.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
6716 said:
Actually, I think I'm going to take this on myself.

I can get a Delphi pump with sending unit for $250 from Rockauto. The work looks like a pain, but do-able for a $475 savings.

There are lots of youtube videos, and a pretty thorough write-up on the OS.

Thanks for the input, all. I'll let you know how it goes ... though I need a new windshield and at least two tires first.

My freind and I did this the other week on his 03TB with May03LT video and it was easy to do. Remember to get the truck up high enough so the tank slides out from under the truck. We made homemade ramps out of 4 layers of 2x10's. Pre soak the strap nuts with PB blaster or something a day before so they easy to get off. Not a bad repair at all

Mine will be going in for a new sender unit soon, dealer quoted $250 as being half the price that I gotta pay. To buy the part they quote me $220, so for extra $30 bucks they can change it.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Denali n DOO said:
My freind and I did this the other week on his 03TB with May03LT video and it was easy to do. Remember to get the truck up high enough so the tank slides out from under the truck. We made homemade ramps out of 4 layers of 2x10's. Pre soak the strap nuts with PB blaster or something a day before so they easy to get off. Not a bad repair at all

Mine will be going in for a new sender unit soon, dealer quoted $250 as being half the price that I gotta pay. To buy the part they quote me $220, so for extra $30 bucks they can change it.

Yeah, for just the sender it's definitely worth it. At 194K with the original pump, I'm thinking it might be good to switch it out, since the pumps have a reputation already. And a friend of mine just had his pump go out at the jobsite, ended up getting towed to have it replaced and that was $800 for his Avalanche.

But then, if the pump goes, there's always the "bang on the bottom of the tank trick" that can at least get you back up and running. Anybody know what makes that work, anyway? Back when I was a cab driver I had fuel pump trouble and took it to the company mechanic at 4:55 pm on a Friday. He pounded on the tank (I guess right below the pump) while I hit the ignition and told me I was all fixed up when it started. And then he went drinking and I was down the first time I shut off the car. F'er!

And, I guess there's no reason the pump has to fail ....

But, it would be just my luck to pay for just the sending unit and have the pump fail the next day.

I never had any trouble with my windshield until I finally got a State Park sticker. And like clockwork, soon as I put that thing in the lower left corner of the windshield BANG! I break the windshield. Sure, that was only $25, but I swear it happens like that.

Seriously, though, I should get back to work here.

Dec 16, 2011
Denali n DOO said:

Or, you could do what I do and save yourself even the $250.

1. Calculate your combined MPG.

2. Multiply that figure by your fuel tank capacity.

3. Religiously reset your trip meter every time you get gas. Make sure you get gas again before you hit the figure calculated in 2.

Yes, I ran out of gas once by using this method, half a mile from a gas station. The $9 for a gas can is still far, far less than $250, much less the other outrageous figures listed here.

Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
UMEXT said:
Or, you could do what I do and save yourself even the $250.

1. Calculate your combined MPG.

2. Multiply that figure by your fuel tank capacity.

3. Religiously reset your trip meter every time you get gas. Make sure you get gas again before you hit the figure calculated in 2.

Yes, I ran out of gas once by using this method, half a mile from a gas station. The $9 for a gas can is still far, far less than $250, much less the other outrageous figures listed here.

Interestingly enough, the sending unit is what brought me into the fold here, first on the OS in August of last year.

Since finding the forums over a year ago, I've done pads & rotors, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs & TB cleaning, shocks, struts, UCAs, blower motor resistor, worked on the liftgate (unsuccessfully so far), cleaned up some grounds, bought some tools, and learned a ton about a hundred other things about the truck.

Still haven't gotten to the sending unit though. Keep meaning to. Keep bumping it down the list. Haven't run out of gas in a while now.

The OCD part of me wants all the stuff fixed right, and the ADD part of me keeps getting distracted by locking differentials and such. Might take complete pump failure to get me there. Never know.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fhenninger

Members Online