Quick air filter and Throttle Body question

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I'm ashamed to say I've never changed my own air filter as i always have them do it when i get an oil change. Does this look like it needs to be changed?

View attachment 27273

Also, should my throttle body be this far open with the engine off?

View attachment 27274

currently getting about 13 mpg city and hoping i can save a few mpg...

Attachments

• 2013-04-06 17.56.40.jpg
    2013-04-06 17.56.40.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 2013-04-06 18.00.59.jpg
    2013-04-06 18.00.59.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 18

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Take it off and check the other side.

BRomanJr

Dec 9, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
I'm ashamed to say I've never changed my own air filter as i always have them do it when i get an oil change. Does this look like it needs to be changed?

View attachment 13486

Also, should my throttle body be this far open with the engine off?

View attachment 13487

currently getting about 13 mpg city and hoping i can save a few mpg...

Does not look bad to me, paper is mostly clean and white. The filter condition is subjective, replace when "dirty". If you tap it on a bench and lots of dirt falls off, it's dirty.

It is normal for a vehicle with a 'Drive By Wire' (DBW) throttle body to be that far open because there is no separate air bleed for idle.
On cable operated throttle bodies there is an Idle Air Control (IAC) to manage the proper idle air flow and throttle plate can stay closed/nearly closed at idle.

You can check the cleanliness of the Throttle Body if you want but the V8 does not "dirty it up" like the I6.

I would look elsewhere for MPG problems (if there really is one, that city mileage while coming out of winter does not sound like a problem). What recent maintenance has been done?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I just bought it a month ago, so i'm not sure on the maintenance.Although this last tank did have a bottle of gumout fuel system cleaner in it. I went ahead and did the air filter and throttle body because who knows when the last time either was cleaned/changed and there are 90k miles on the truck. I don't really think there is a mpg "problem" per say, i just want to make sure everything is in tip top shape. I plan to get 250k on this beast. :cool:

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
You really should just pick up a K&N. I was worried about that lil pos falling off and sucking up shit!! K&N has a hose clamp its not coming off! i got mine at oreilly's for $65 probably could have found one cheaper but never looked. BTW your filter isnt to bad but id change it soon! You should get a couple mpg's with one also!!:biggrin:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
1) K&N is not universally worshipped. I took mine off as soon as I understood WHY it had a higher flow. (It lets more stuff through.) :eek:

2) If you don't know the maintenance history, be super suspicious that the previous owner failed to change the transfer case fluid at 50K as required. It can cost you a transfer case to assume it will last until 100K or more.

yodaddy4200

Feb 3, 2013
the roadie said:
1) K&N is not universally worshipped. I took mine off as soon as I understood WHY it had a higher flow. (It lets more stuff through.) :eek:

2) If you don't know the maintenance history, be super suspicious that the previous owner failed to change the transfer case fluid at 50K as required. It can cost you a transfer case to assume it will last until 100K or more.

Im sure its got to be better than the little bullshit paper thing is all im saying!! What did you switch to if you dont mind me asking?

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Fram. Roadie, planning to do a drain and fill this summer

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
yodaddy4200 said:
Im sure its got to be better than the little bullshit paper thing is all im saying!!
You can do the research very easily, but in general K&N sells Kool-aid, and a lot of people drink it. The vendors of throttle body spacers also don't seem to be going out of business, but they deserve to. As Ronny Raygunz said: "Trust.....but verify."

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
You can do the research very easily, but in general K&N sells Kool-aid, and a lot of people drink it. The vendors of throttle body spacers also don't seem to be going out of business, but they deserve to. As Ronny Raygunz said: "Trust.....but verify."

What filters would you recommend then?

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
yodaddy4200 said:
Im sure its got to be better than the little bullshit paper thing is all im saying!! What did you switch to if you dont mind me asking?

It actually isn't. The stock paper filter actually filters BETTER than K&N. K&N air filters will never touch my vehicle :no:

The filter also won't fall off the intake tube as the airbox helps hold it in place anyway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online