Question on Rear Brakes - 2002 Yukon Denali

mb522

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Hello all,

I had one of my brake lines rust through and air has infiltrated the system. The broken line was replaced, but due to a severe rusting condition by the bleeder fitting on all four calipers, the system could not be properly bled. I am planning to replace all four calipers, all four rotors and new pads all around. I should then be good to go. The mechanic informed me that he noticed that both of the backer plates on the rear had disintegrated from rust. My question is how much work is is to replace those backer plates once the rear wheels, rotors, and calipers have been removed?

Thanks.:confused:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You also have to drain the diff and pull the axles.

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
just a guess, but you probably have to pull the rear axle.

open the differential, pull a pin or bolt or something, and pull the axle out. i know enough to know I am not sure I would do it myself. depending on miles and condition, you could think about seals and bearings while you have it apart. not sure it would be required, or would ever be needed, but you would be almost there.

Changing rotted backing plates/dust shields - Chevy Tahoe Forum | GMC Yukon Forum | Tahoe Z71 | Cadillac Escalade - Tahoe Yukon Forum might help

Feb 24, 2012
Not sure if they are still available, and it's probably too late to answer your question... but back in the day we used to sell a "split backing plate" to replace some common rusted out backing plates. It was in two halves.. you unbolted and cut the old backing plate off, then bolted the two halves of the new backing plate on and interlocked them, and you were good to go.

I never had a lot of confidence in them, but never heard of any problems either. If they still make this product it would be easier than pulling the axle out (which really isn't that hard to do).

mb522

Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
deekster_caddy said:
Not sure if they are still available, and it's probably too late to answer your question... but back in the day we used to sell a "split backing plate" to replace some common rusted out backing plates. It was in two halves.. you unbolted and cut the old backing plate off, then bolted the two halves of the new backing plate on and interlocked them, and you were good to go.

I never had a lot of confidence in them, but never heard of any problems either. If they still make this product it would be easier than pulling the axle out (which really isn't that hard to do).

Thanks for that tip. When I was searching through the available auto parts on-line catalogs, I did come across some split backing plates for my application. The thought did cross my mind that these split backing plates were designed to replace old rotting ones WITHOUT having to pull the rear axles. I am going to buy a set of them, and when I deliver the loaded calipers and new rotors to my mechanic, I'll ask him to see if he can install those split backing plates without much additional labor at the same time as the calipers & rotors. I'll let you know in a few weeks how it all turned out. :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86