Question about shocks for air suspension vs. coil springs

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
I am about to swap my air ride to springs........at least for now.... may switch back later.... we'll see

The shocks on my Rainier are not all that old... look to have been replaced not long before i got it last sept.

Do I HAVE to change the shocks to the part number for coil sprung truck?

Whats the difference inn the shocks...

I plan on changing front and rear later on....but $$ at the moment would be best if i dont have to do it immediately

Plus if i dont like the springs and go back to air...dont want to be stuck with a set of shocks I didnt need...

Springs were dirt cheap but those bilsteins arent lol

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
There was some discussion on the OS and, IIRC, the consensus was, there was just a difference in valving.

I would keep the shocks you have and see how the ride is.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed. The difference can be attributed to the designer's obsession with making all the vehicles ride the "same" no matter what option list and curb weight they were. Nothing the average owner would EVER notice unless they had a garage full of different models of the same platform and valued them being "identical" in some insane way. Same reason we have ten+ different coil spring stiffnesses used on the production line. They were basically nuts.

Tiggerr

Original poster
Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Ok! Thanks guys!! I didn't want to get under there and find out my shocks were too long or short or something lol.

I'm just trying to do a cheap fix for now by slapping a set of Envoy Moog coils into my air ride Rainer...

If I like it I'll leave it, if not, I'll buy a new compressor later and reinstall bags etc...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amri

Members Online