Project Black Bull

JayWildChevy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
Hey y'all,

I'm really excited about GMT Nation! I've been taking in all of the wealth of information and ideas from what I've seen. Also, thanks to SnowBlazer for the compliments and boost of confidence! This is my 2006 Trailblazer LT, with various options. I was fortunate to find this vehicle back in February and loved it. I used to own a Ford Explorer XLT eddie bauer edition and a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for years. But, everytime I saw the Trailblazer's, I felt jealous of the people driving it. Especially, the SS owners.

The only challenge is, I love the truck's 4.2 inline-6. But, I aspire to keep up with the SS owners, and well, those lucky enough to have the V8 engine. My goal for this build is to build a street truck, that I can take on trails (nothing extreme) from time to time.

Right now, the truck is stock in exception to custom black 20" Helo wheels and tires, and red badges. Below is a list of current work underway or plans:

Engine, Powertrain, Suspension:

At this point, with 200K miles, I have to clean the throttlebody, and replace the 02 sensor (possibly, a code just popped up). Also, I'm going to be replacing the spark plugs, and doing a tranny flush this weekend. What I need is someone with experience to open up the engine and show me how to clean it. I saw in another build thread, that there was a lot of oil build up. Question is: what comment maintenance problems should I look for and replace on the 4.2L inline V6?

Before I make any aftermarket modifications, by mid-January, I need it to be running as if I just drove it off the lot. I can tell it is under performing right now.

Modifications in January/February:
- PCM Tune
- Exhaust System (headers, high flow cat-back, dual port exhaust is what I want. There's an exhaust builder in town I'm talking to).
- SS-trim rear bumper with style for dual exhaust port
- Green Filter air filter system. Perhaps, a CAI intake system in the Summer.

By June:
- Adjustable suspension system, for nice aggressive or sporty stance on the street, and something competent for hitting the trails with a higher stance.

This Summer:
- One thing I've learned as a new Southern, and a new Texan, is the Summer's are brutal compared to what I'm used to in Wisconsin. So, I want to experiment and work with a builder this Summer on modifying internals. By the end of the Summer, I am budgeting for an engine build to produce 350hp to the crank (Modest, I'm learning). Or, if I have a network of folks that are experienced with this engine, I'd love to aim for 375-400hp to the crank. If I hit those numbers out of this engine, I'll be too fuckin happy.

The question here is, what's the challenges of the current powertrain? How much can the stock transmission handle? My truck, also, is only 2WD (which I love, and prefer RWD vehicles). What's the limits of the stock rearend? What foreseeable challenges or needs will I have, say, reaching 350hp. I am, also, a lead foot. A serious lead foot.

- Other Ideas:
- Turbocharging the inline-6. I love N/A builds, am a big fan. But, turbocharging seems to be the most popular way folks are making big gains. I'm willing to go out of my personal comfort zone with this N/A and look into turbochargers. I do miss it, I had a turbocharged 2004 Mazda RX8 (GReddy turbo).

Exterior:
I'm keeping the stock look, which I love. Except, as I mentioned before, I am going to get the SS rear bumper. I, also, came across a roof spoiler for the TB's, may get that after I take another look. My first priority will be to have the truck repainted, as the current paint is covered with water spots, scuffs/scratches, and some paint chipping.

Any advice on how to improve the paint would be awesome: Should I repaint it, or other solutions (Ideally, cheaper).

Now for the pictures:
IMG_20541_zps0d93bc19.jpg

IMG_20441_zpsf054fdca.jpg

IMG_20451_zpsc154b8cb.jpg

IMG_19741_zps092964c4.jpg

Yea, the Stingray isn't mine. It's my dad's, and off limits to me enjoying it privately.

But, we are a Chevy family, so I ain't mad lol.
IMG_06801_zps20255ef2.jpg

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Woooohooo glad to see you started your build thread man :biggrin:

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree:

Are you only getting the rear SS bumper cover or plan on getting the front too? Maybe lose the chorme door handles to complete the blacked out look.

Are you looking to get 350-400hp out of the I6 naturally aspirated or doing a V8 swap?

Reactions: Capote

JayWildChevy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
Thanks everyone!

dmann's, depends on affordability haha. I would like to get 350 to 400 out of the inline-6, and most likely, through turbocharging the engine.

I love the chrome door handles! I'm a creature of habit lol. Yea, the side steps stick out like a sore thumb. Also, I would consider replacing the rack with something more attractive, and removable. I love the go biking.

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Subscribed, I got my TB because I wanted the I6 and I have not been disappointed in the engine, Torque management, the soft shift points and traction control really lets me down.

Capote

Supporting Donor
Jul 14, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Stewzer55 said:
Subscribed, I got my TB because I wanted the I6 and I have not been disappointed in the engine, Torque management, the soft shift points and traction control really lets me down.
A tune from PMC of NC will fix that right up [emoji41]

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
Stewzer55 said:
The shift firmness and torque management can be tuned out in case you didn't already know that.

For future reference, you can subscribe to a thread without posting. There's a button to click above the thread if on a computer. :tiphat:

Reactions: Capote

Stewzer55

Feb 15, 2014
Mounce said:
The shift firmness and torque management can be tuned out in case you didn't already know that.

For future reference, you can subscribe to a thread without posting. There's a button to click above the thread if on a computer. :tiphat:
Capote said:
A tune from PMC of NC will fix that right up [emoji41]
Thanks, my main point was to speak in praise of the 4.2 I6 and what Ma GM did to kill the fun. Tune is on the to do list.

JayWildChevy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
So, as per my other thread, I've been getting this truck back into top shape. Cleaned the TB, replaced spark plugs, fluids.

Now, I have a code P0128 and a P0420 that has popped up. I am praying it is not a catalytic converter. Praying. .

My truck isn't showing signs of a misfire. This is going to be a fun and hopeful road to discovery!

Are there anythings I need to know about the P0420 code for this truck? What's the most efficient way to diagnosis the cause of this code, or, at least, what's the first thing I should be looking at with this code? (please don't say the converter...I don't wanna go thru that haha).

Again, I'm going to be doing all the work myself plus a friend who is works on cars for a living.

And, sense the hood will be up around this time, this leaves opportunity for other work that could be done.

What are some things I should be looking for?

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
First I would search for threads on the P0128 and P0420 to see if there is information to answer your questions. If not, then I would start a new thread stating your CEL codes and things you have done to either trouble shoot or correct the issue.

This will benefit others when searching for answers. Any information provided in a build thread will not be seen by others when looking for information on the same codes :twocents:

Reactions: Mounce

JayWildChevy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
BlazingTrails said:
The 4.2 is a fantastic engine. I wish you guys could see how mine runs :yes:
You are so right! So, I have finished some regular maintenance and repairs (As per my other threads). I'll know, I'm sure in the next 24 hours, but after replacing my thermostat, O2 sensor, and P0128, everything is optimal. Seriously, For $60 or $70 bucks, all my codes or heat issues solved? Plus, cleaned my throttle body, new spark plugs, fluids.

Anyways, my friend is a mechanic and helped me out, to check over what I was doing (I am learning all of this as I go from y'all, youtube, and my manual out of my driveway...or AutoZone, cuz free tools LOL).He couldn't believe how clean and strong this engine is at 174,000 miles. Honestly, she sounds and is starting to feel like a low mileage car.

So, now I am on to modifications. Unfortunately, I'm paying for tuition, so it's going to slow my ability to get everything I want done quicker.

My plans this Summer through October is
1. PCM Tune
2. bolt-on's:
- custom exhaust with hi-flow cat:
- aftermarket air intake system
- headers

My wish list for the 4.2L V6 includes higher performance heads, throttle body, and intake. Is there are source for them?

Thanks y'all, I love my truck!

JayWildChevy

Original poster
Dec 12, 2014
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424459598.747965.jpg

So my baby needs cleaning badly. Also, I need to get the full kit.

Any advice in cleaning the filter?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online