Power steeting leak

Dataz722

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Hey,

I have a 07 trailblazer 4.2 that has had a moderate ps leak for a while now. Sometimes it would need some fluid once a week sometimes over a month. I was never able to figure out exactly where it was coming from as everything is just pretty much soaked in fluid.

Last week I just went ahead and replaced the pump hoping that was it since the passenger side seemed to have more fluid. Everything was fine until I was on my way home yesterday and it started whining again so I knew it had to have been low. Went out today and went to leave (after forgetting it needed to be topped off) and had no power steering at all. Stopped and went to top it off and the reservoir was practically empty and the driveway looked like it had all just dumped out.

Any way I can more precisely track down the leak? I have looked before, but was unable to find any sort of UV dye that is compatible with a PS system. Is there actually anything out there? If I can't find the leak what is the most likely problem after the pump? The rack?

Thanks!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The most common place is above the driver side shock tower inside the rrubber isolator. Usually the low presute line rusts through because of water and crud retained in there. There are a few threads about it.

Another common place is the PS cooler, located under the radiator behind the bumper. Usually rusts out too.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Sure... These procedures will have to be done when the truck is free to work on for a least a few hours prior to driving. Here goes:

(1) Refrain from Topping Off the Power Steering Reservoir during these actions.
(2) Take a large Squirt Bottle and using a spoonful of Dawn Dish Soap and Hot Water... Douche and soak down whatever areas you can see are covered in PSF. Let it soak-in for a few minutes and then use a Second Spray Bottle filled with Very Hot Water and go over all those areas previously covered in PSF and the Dawn Spray mixture and then allow the vehicle to dry off.
(3) A Blow Drier or even a small Leaf Blower can be used if you are parked on a clean concrete or asphalt surface to blow aside as much drain water from those areas as possible.
(4) Once the vehicle underside is as dry as possible and NOT dripping any water... slide a large section of cardboard under the vehicle; focusing on the Hydraulic Power Steering Cylinder and Line Connectors...and also under the PSF Reservoir.
(5) Partially fill the PSF Reservoir with Fresh Fluid and wait approx 5-10 minutes.
(6) Without starting the Vehicle... First turn the Steering Wheel in One Direction to the Stop Lock point... and inspect the cardboard for any leaks while looking over all of the connections starting at PSF Reservoir on down.
(7) Reverse the Steering Wheel (Lock to Lock) and Repeat the process described in #6
(8) Be Meticulous and Suspicious...Use a Flashlight even in Daylight...working your way downwards...following Gravity and using abundant clean Paper Towels to contact inspect each component by touching EVERYTHING in PS System from Top to Bottom using Fresh Hand Towels.
(9) When you find any Leaking Point(s) along the way... TAKE PICS TO POST BACK HERE.
(10) Until you are prepared with replacement components...Top Off the PSF every time you are getting ready to LEAVE one place to drive to another...but NOT upon your arrivals...or the PSF will simply leak down statically and be wasted.
(11) Carry a sufficient quantity of PSF Fluid and Hand Towels to get you out to your destinations ...and then back home again.

Last edited:

Instrumental

Jan 29, 2012
Same here - power steering cooler was a rusty mess. Luckily the replacement from Napa was aluminum. Easy fix, to be honest. I don't think I had to take any trim pieces off, just unbolt the cooler and unclamp the lines. Reverse to install.

psa55

Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
Agree with above. My 08 power steering cooler failed last summer. Super simple fix. One or two screws/bolts and a couple hose clamps. Mounted in front of rad on the bottom. I got an OEM replacement for direct fit at dealership as I didn't care for the universal ones.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR