Power Steering Pump - New Whine after new components

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
After splicing PS Return lines twice in the past 24 months, and a leaking Rack for about 18 months, the time came to update some steering components. When looking things over for a bi-annual saftey inspection, it became apparent that the passenger Inner Tie-Rod was gone, which was also the leaking side of the rack. Following the many threads on here and advice I'd received earlier, it was fairly easy to drop the Rack and Pinion. While doing so, I replaced the Pressure Hose (fell apart on disassembly) Return Hose and Cooler to Pump hoses. I'd bought all the items prior to starting and was prepared. I used a New (not reman) AAE Rack, and new Edelmann Hoses. Zero issues, or leaks so far. I had warrantied Outer Tie-Rods so I did those too, and got an alignment. That leaves my original PS Pump left.

I've never had any issues with the pump, and I can't get over how buttery smooth my steering now. However, my pump has developed a some intermittant whine. I'm wondering if it is just adjusting to all that new clean fluid, and the whine might clean up after some kms.... or, if it's on it way out. I've noticed driving around today, that the whine is at idle, when initiating a turn of the wheel. Appears to be quiet while operating while driving. Anyone experience something like this, or advice? TIA!

EDIT: I should note that I used Canadian Tire Brand: "Certified PS Fluid". I had it already as that is what I was using to top up system regularly, with a bit of Lucas Stop Leak. It says good for GM and I wasnt' having any issues with it.

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: psa55

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Forum Statistics

Threads