Power Steering problem

Russ

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
My 2002 Envoy is drinking power steering fluid like Michael Jordon drinks Gatorade!!!!! The problem is: I can't find a leak anywhere!!!! I just replaced the pump, filled it, bled it, took it for a short drive and it's almost completely empty.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Russ

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
There's a horizontal cooler behind the bumper cover, at the lower edge of the radiator, plus hoses, plus the steering rack could be leaking into the end bellows and it's not hitting the ground yet because the bellows are filling up. Check those places.

Russ

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Roadie,

Again, thanks for your help.

I replaced the cooler prior to going to Hawaii at the end of Oct. It started losing fluid after that. It has to be pouring into some place. My daughter has gone thru so much power steering fluid. She has kept all the bottles and there are a lot of them. I was just talking with my son and wondering if it could be leaking into the rack? At least when the cooler was leaking, the lower part of the bumper was covered with fluid.

When I took it for a short drive, I could feel the steering wheel shake as I was going around corners. Guess I need to get up on a lift some where. Need to take care of both cars before I leave again after the first of the year.:mad:

Thanks again

Russ

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Last summer, I had a fluid leak that I originally thought was coming from the radiator. But upon inspection of the fluid, I immediately ruled out engine coolant. I was a small leak from the PS fluid cooler in front of the lower edge of the radiator. Splashed up on the fan blades which made it difficult to source initially. Track your PS fluid lines from the pump to the cooler to the rack. You're bound to find it.

Russ

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
the roadie said:
There's a horizontal cooler behind the bumper cover, at the lower edge of the radiator, plus hoses, plus the steering rack could be leaking into the end bellows and it's not hitting the ground yet because the bellows are filling up. Check those places.

Roadie,

Right again! Pulled the Envoy into the garage, put it on jack stands, took off the wheels and both bellows were completely full of power steering fluid. Got a re manufactured rack from NAPA and 4 hours later it was changed. Followed Jerry Irons article: http://gmtnation.com/f93/how-change-steering-gear-rack-pinion-i6-ext-2006-4wd-trailblazer-2658/ Not that hard, just don't want to do it again.

I was amazed at how much fluid she had gone through!

Thanks again for all your help.

Now, onto the Trailblazer!!!!!

Russ

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Russ said:
Roadie,

Right again!
There was a possibility I was wrong?

[Channeling the arrogant bastard Sheldon Cooper again.....slap me silly......:rotfl: ]

Thanks for the report, and glad that you got a reman so quickly. Did it come with new bellows, BTW? I may need one this year.

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:

[Channeling the arrogant bastard Sheldon Cooper again.....slap me silly......:rotfl: ]

Thanks for the report, and glad that you got a reman so quickly. Did it come with new bellows, BTW? I may need one this year.

HA :smile:

Attachments

• haa.jpg
    haa.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 53

Russ

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
the roadie said:

Yes, it came with new bellows and new inner tie rods already attached.

Russ

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph5432

Members Online