Power steering issues

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
So, my power steering went out a couple of days ago with no warning (it wasnt whining, and it had worked fine until the point where it didnt). I checked the fluid and it was a little low so i topped it up, no dice. I think it is most likely the pump, but i wondered if there is anything else i should look at first.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Almost always the pump. Have you recently gone out in the snow to do donuts? High engine RPM at full steering lock has been known to shear the pump's shaft, which is the pump's way of allowing the engine to continue running without destroying the serpentine belt.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Whoopsadaisy. That's what did it. I wasn't doing donuts, but I was pulling a u turn using my slipping back tires for assistance. As always, thanks for the help Roadie!

gmac310

Dec 4, 2011
dcmtnbkr said:
Whoopsadaisy. That's what did it. I wasn't doing donuts, but I was pulling a u turn using my slipping back tires for assistance. As always, thanks for the help Roadie!

That's what I was thinking at first, doing donuts caused it but I don't see how just spinning a u-turn could cause the pump to fail unless you sere really giving it the beans. Just doesn't seem like it was a long enough duration.

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
gmac310 said:
That's what I was thinking at first, doing donuts caused it but I don't see how just spinning a u-turn could cause the pump to fail unless you sere really giving it the beans. Just doesn't seem like it was a long enough duration.

I was on it pretty hard. Could have also been weak from something else too, or just age in general. :shrug:

DDonnie

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks again for the help guys, swapped the pump and we are good to go now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gdub2306

Members Online