Power steering in line filter?

MichEnvoyGuy

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Ive been keeping an eye on my return power steering line - the one that goes over the drivers side strut tower - because mines been severely rusted for years. Well, yesterday it rusted through and leaked PS fluid everywhere.

Tried to use compression fittings and splice in a nice new piece of 3/8 pipe, couldnt. Mine rusted not only under the black rubber thing, but also about 2 inches out. Had to flare the ends and use PS hose and clamps. Strangely, the high pressure line looks fine?? But the return line sitting 1/2" away in the same piece of rubber rotted. Dont get that. Anyways....

I wondered now that I have a piece of hose in there that I can easily get at, what does the board think of those in line power steering filters? Ive always had to change my PS fluid every 30000 miles or so because it gets nasty quick. Would it be worth installing one? has anybody else?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Ive been keeping an eye on my return power steering line - the one that goes over the drivers side strut tower - because mines been severely rusted for years. Well, yesterday it rusted through and leaked PS fluid everywhere.

Tried to use compression fittings and splice in a nice new piece of 3/8 pipe, couldnt. Mine rusted not only under the black rubber thing, but also about 2 inches out. Had to flare the ends and use PS hose and clamps. Strangely, the high pressure line looks fine?? But the return line sitting 1/2" away in the same piece of rubber rotted. Dont get that. Anyways....

I wondered now that I have a piece of hose in there that I can easily get at, what does the board think of those in line power steering filters? Ive always had to change my PS fluid every 30000 miles or so because it gets nasty quick. Would it be worth installing one? has anybody else?

That has been one of those things that is a personal preference kinda thing. If it makes you feel better then yes, if not then no. Isn't going to hurt anything unless you forget about it and never touch it again. IMHO it's not really gonna matter one way or the other, the fluid doesn't so much get "dirty" as it just breaks down over time.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
A power steering filter can only help, in my opinion. If you have a metal line go bad, or a pump go out, it can help filter out the metal particles that can cause your rack seals to blow out. How much help is debatable (ie it will be downstream of the pump crapping out). A rack is expensive and fairly time consuming to do, I know because I've changed 2 so far in my tb.

I would not use those little in-line filters, I think you are better off getting one that looks like an oil filter (a real filter), autozone sells them. They have a bypass too in case they get too full. The hose you can use, I think it's called high pressure oil transmission hose or something like that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731

Members Online