Power Steering Fluid & Capacity - Flush

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
I was catching up on threads from yesterdays email notification, etc. and the thread below on Power Steering Fluids. I changed my Power Steering Cooler a few years back, but have never changed fluids in my system. At 13 years old, perhaps that is overlooked maintenance. I will probably use the turkey baster method of swapping it out. I'm not really interested in messing with a bunch of old hoses that aren't giving my any grief.

My manual calls for GM Fluid: 89021186. I can't find the number anywhere, but have read it was replaced with AC Delco Fluid 19329449 in Canada. That is what I have from when I topped my system off when I replaced the cooler. Seems I can use any Power Steering Fluid approved for GM vehicles? Is this correct.

Option 1: Changing the fluid with a Valvoline or Lucas fluid that my local parts store has for GM vehicles
Option 2: Change with Walmart or CT brand till it looks much better and then work new AC Delco fluid back in.
Lastly, any idea what the capacity of the system is so I can get an idea on how much to buy.

Thoughts?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, the Canadian part number is a thinner fluid for use in colder climates.

Here's another school of thought for the fluid type. Some have used Dex VI tranny fluid instead of power steering fluid with good results. My '11 Caprice uses it for its R&P steering. My TB is currently giving me some grief where it's harder to turn the wheel to the right and thinking of trying it using the baster method. Who knows, PS fluid might just be a colourless tranny fluid. To do a good flush, it should take a couple of liters.

I found this article that is geared towards Asian vehicles however it does mention:
Many Ford and GM models are fine with the fluid swap while you will simply ruin a BMW, Audi, Honda, or Mercedes-Benz by doing so.

Reactions: psa55

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
When I did the hoses on my Sierra (which has old-school Saginaw steering, along with Hydroboost), I also changed out the P/S fluid. Actually, as I write this, I recall that a new steering box went in, too (although maybe not at the same time). And a new Hydroboost, later on. So basically, I've got a whole new steering system, except for the steering shaft itself.

I know you don't want to touch the hoses, but given their age, and the fact that a lot of fluid is still going to be in the hoses & the rack, it would be a perfect time to change them out.

That said... if the hoses still *look* good... at least changing out the fluid in the reservoir is better than leaving it as-is.

As for fluid... I used Valvoline full-synthetic when I changed it out. It's sold in gallon jugs as well as pints / quarts, and I used fully 1/2 of it the first time out. You won't need *as* much, but it'll likely take more than two of the smaller pint bottles. The Valvoline full-synth exceeds the GM spec, so you're fine, there. And it's not super expensive. Note: Prestone also markets 'synthetic' P/S fluid, if you get it at your local auto parts store -- but Valvoline's is rated to a higher temp, and is cheaper, besides.

If you swap out the hoses... fill the reservoir to the brim, before starting for the first time. The system will draw down the level astonishingly fast when you start it up.
Also, I went to the dollar store and picked up a set of ketchup / mustard squeeze bottles, which made it much easier to fill the P/S reservoir, IMO, as I didn't have to keep swapping a funnel in & out in order to observe level / air bubbles. You can use one bottle for this, and the other for something else, later (like maybe brake fluid, etc.)

If you don't replace the hoses (or drain the rack), then just replacing what's in the reservoir should be sufficient (unless you were low on fluid to begin with).

Reactions: psa55 and Mooseman

KEEBZ489

Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
without removing the hose , unless you have a vaccum / pump machine, you will never get a 100% change. turkey baster will be the easiest for doing it yourself and help avoid having air enter the system

engine off , i take out what i can, top it off , start the engine and you will see the fluid circulate. i then continue to take out fluid and refill while running until the fluid starts to clear up. it isnt that much money for a gallon bottle. just watch the level when taking it out so you dont suck air in the system. it isnt the end of the world if you do , just a headache to work it out if alot gets in

psa55

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
New Brunwick, Canada
The largest parts supplier in the city is on my way home, so I swung in to see what they had for fluid. They carry all the major brands and products typically, but only Kleen-Flo Power Steering Fluid, which states is it a Premium OEM fluid for all North American Manufacturers. My cost, $6/litre (Retail $10.48). I decided that hey, for $12 I should be able to get a pretty good flush.

I also have about half a litre of the proper AC Delco fluid for Canada on my bench. To finish this up, I am going to get another litre of the AC Delco fluid and work it through as well, which should give me predominately OEM fluid and a much more thorough swap. Its $12.70/litre at the dealership. For all it will cost, it will give me piece of mind on the fluid compatibility.

Results are below, and work from Left to Right with my trouble light behind them. I simply emptied the reservoir and refilled with new fluid and went for a short 2-3 minute drive on 4 different occasions. About 500ml changed out on each occasion. First two bottles were black! Bottle three slight improvement. Bottle four looked the best. After the fourth swap, I had about 200ml remaining and dumped it in the last bottle (#6). Bottle 5 is the equivalent amount that I took out of the reservoir. The colour on it is much improved and getting a little closer to what it should look like. After the AC Delco goes in, it will only get better.

While doing this, I found another problem... I'll start a new thread for that one which is a simple yes or no question, I think...

20210318_220916.jpg

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moscoreli

Members Online

No members online now.