Power acoustik plus backup camera help??

97 silveraydo

Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
I purchased a power acoustik 7in flip out head unit for my truck I wasn't very sure about that brand because I've always had kenwood's and I love them but just didn't want to spend the 3-400 for a flip out kenwood, after reading about them they seem to be good units? But when I ordered it, I ordered a rear backup camera. Soo instead of hooking it up to only come on when the reverse lights come on I was wondering if you could hook it up to always have power so whenever I hit the camera on the radio I could see behind me anytime I wanted? Also does anybody know how to hook the radio up so you could watch DVD and videos while driving instead of only when the park brake is applied?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've done both of the things you're trying to do with my Pioneer HU. For the camera, you need to connect the power wire to any type of switched source. Either a manual switch, or tied to the ignition or radio. In mine, I tied the power to the remote turn on lead feeding my amp, so the camera is on whenever the radio is on.

For the DVD override, you should have a wire that feeds into the radio for the parking brake signal. Instead of connecting it to the parking brake, connect it to a ground point. In some cases, HU manufacturers require you to engage the parking brake twice, so you can't simply ground the connection. Solution in that case is to hook up that wire to a switch, that's connected to ground.

Hope that helps.

97 silveraydo

Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Blckshdw said:
I've done both of the things you're trying to do with my Pioneer HU. For the camera, you need to connect the power wire to any type of switched source. Either a manual switch, or tied to the ignition or radio. In mine, I tied the power to the remote turn on lead feeding my amp, so the camera is on whenever the radio is on.

For the DVD override, you should have a wire that feeds into the radio for the parking brake signal. Instead of connecting it to the parking brake, connect it to a ground point. In some cases, HU manufacturers require you to engage the parking brake twice, so you can't simply ground the connection. Solution in that case is to hook up that wire to a switch, that's connected to ground.

Hope that helps.
so for the camera I'll have to run the red and black wire all the way to the head unit with the yellow wire, to attach it to the ignition switch right? And for the DVD I can connect it to any ground?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
You can probably run the camera's wires to the rear fuse block under the rear passenger seat. There should be some ignition switched power sources there. Look on the underside of the fuse block cover, and pick one. And yes, connect the parking brake wire to the HU to any ground.

97 silveraydo

Original poster
Dec 13, 2014
Ok so I got the DVD player grounded out. But I just tried to hook up my camera and nothing happened? I know I'm getting a good ground and power because I spliced into my trailer plug and when the trailer is hooked up everything works fine? And my rca is defiantly plugged into my head unit. Only thing I know of is bad camera?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Only way to confirm is to hook the camera up to something else that can display a picture. Or if you have something else that outputs a video RCA signal, like a camcorder or something, to hook that up to your head unit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nadmak