possible transmission problem

jrthomas05

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
for a while ive noticed a noise usually faint couldn't hear if i had the radio on. lately ive noticed alot more sound like someone shaking a tin can full of screws. still drive like it always has no hard shifts no slipping just the noise for now anyone have any ideas?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
How many miles? Any maintenance history? All fluids up to date? When was the last time you checked all fluid levels?

Noise happen while standing still revving up in neutral?

Only while moving? Rough roads worse than smooth?

Spare tire tight up on its winch? Muffler and cat heat shields inspected and tight?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Ditto on the questions... Sounds a little like you are describing the sound the I6 makes under load almost like a cardboard can full of marbles or something, I dunno how to explain it but the engine gives off a unique sound when you pull power out of it.

jrthomas05

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
126xxx miles 1 owner before me transmission fluid still red and at proper level. i hear it at take off. only after maybe 10 mins after i start driving. hear it yesterday and since no one was around put it in first and right around 1800rpms hear it as loud as it could be. i bought the truck not that long ago and has been fine since get it from a small car lot and according to the paper work it was donated and auctions where the dealer purchased it. had to replace thermostat right after i bought it but thats it. first noticed it over the summer while running the ac with the windows up. took it to my dealers shop and he couldnt pin point what it was and he drove it we didnt hear anything. just one of them wierd thing that would hear every now and them till the last week and now noticing alot more

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
Slip on under there and check your heatshields... Sounds like you got one worked loose ... Check the one on the exhaust manifold too.

matthewcc17

Jan 2, 2012
I noticed a rattle with my envoy a while back that sounded like the screws in a tin can you were talking about. Go to your tail pipe and kick it to shake your rear muffler. If thats the culprit you will know right away. Mine had(has) loose baffles in it. I accepted the noise and did nothing about it for almost 2 years, but then i started getting a whistling from my exhaust under heavy acceleration (pulling a trailer). I put it on the hoist at work and took a piece of 10mm rebar about 3 feet long and gave it a slight bend to get inside the muffler. I alternated between ramming that rod around in there and sticking the shop vac hose in and wiggling it around. I ended up with a shop vac full of fiberglass(or some similar material) and a few small rusted metal flakes. The muffler still rattles if i kick it(due to the baffles laying in the bottom), but doesnt block the exhaust anymore. There was noticable power increase, and slightly louder exhaust noise noticed on the highway.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chappymate

Members Online

No members online now.