PLX Kiwi?

Filter

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Anyone use any of their products? Looks pretty neat!

PLX Kiwi - Kiwi Wifi, Kiwi Bluetooth, Kiwi MPG, Kiwi Drive Green OBD 2 Devices 
kiwiiphone.png

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Filter said:

PLX manufactures the bluetooth or wifi OBD2 hardware interface, not the device software. The bluetooth connection is probably the most desirable, considering how much of an energy hog WIFI is. There are many chinese variants on the market (ebay has many). Many work on par as PLX. Others, are buggy. For 20 bucks or so...my chinese knock-off ELM-327 module performs as expected.

BTW, the android software worth drooling over is TORQUE. It's a 5 dollar purchase through the market.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
I have a PLX Kiwi Wifi and use the Rev2 iPhone app from Devtoaster. It works awesome! I don't keep it hooked up regular just because I'm one of those guys that hates junk floating around the truck, my truck has to look like it just came off the lot at all times (just a little bit neuritic). I had it hooked up just last night to get a proper reading from the temp gauge, the dash indicator sucks. Its awesome for checking and clearing codes. It tells you the code but will then go find out what that code means all from siting behind the wheel, so you just don't get a number that you then have to go figure out what the hell it means. Let me know if you have a questions, maybe I can take a few screen captures to show you what metrics are supported on my truck.
Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
I too was looking into that. A little expensive for simply checking codes, which is pretty much all I would use it for. I too do not like leaving things hooked up & floating around my drivers seat.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have an ELM 327, does what I need it to do, and at $25 shipped well worth it. It works very well with torque as well.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I know I'm a little late, but I've been using the PLX Kiwi Bluetooth with Torque for about a month now and it seems to work great. It's awesome to be able to read trans temp and many others, and in total cheaper than alternatives (such as ScanGauge).

harmless

Nov 21, 2011
I've been eyeballing these things for a while too.

Quite the price range. 25 bucks to 250... I know you get what you pay for but geez.

Add 50 bucks (ish) for an iPhone app and that's a whole pile of mod money...

So I dunno. :confused:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Torque is $5.99 on android. I even have an app that lets me control sleep mode on the OBDII unit to prevent battery drain. I have gone a good 60' away and still had access to the scanner.

You could always do things to your Iphone, that are usually not recommended by Apple.

Wow even a quick google search showed 49.99. Thats freakin nuts, I thought Torque was on Iphone first.

sevendj

Dec 9, 2011
harmless said:
Yeah, not so much. The benefits of such aren't worth the pain IMHO. I don't mind paying for some apps.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents!

- You shouldn't jailbreak in order to pirate. That's a ridiculous reason to jailbreak your iphone/ipod/ipad. You jailbreak in order to install non-apple verified applications on your device. Last time I checked, windows didn't verify and take profit from every single application that I use on my computer. In fact, the only thing that isn't freeware on my windows comp are windows office programs!

- Jailbreaking is easy as hell. Go to jailbreakme.com using your iDevice and click the "free" button, then click "install." It's automatic, apart from your finger pressing the GO button of course...

- It's completely legal in every which way. Don't let Apple confuse people. The supreme court has already ruled that you have every right to modify a product that you purchased and own in its entirety.

That being said, I have not heard of any app for a jailbroken phone that's better than the apps that hook into the Kiwi PLX. It's an unnecessary step IMHO, but I would recommend jailbreaking to anyone that cares about good software. You will likely have to pay for decent apps for jailbroken phones as well, and the profit may actually go to the developer without Apple getting a cut for zero work.

I know you probably weren't implying that everyone jailbreaks to pirate apps, but I wanted to clarify some things that people often have misconceptions about, for those people searching the website and reading these posts!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i got the cheapest dongle i could find on ebay, i think i paid $15 total shipped from china. works great with torque on android

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online