plugs ?

Foglight

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I have 154K on my 2003 , it runs fine and I get 19-21 out on the highway. (I use cruse all the time)
but when do you do plugs and is it something I can do myself ?

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Well how about a rundown on previous maintenance so we know whats been done or not, only reason I ask is plugs are due at 100k. So either they have been done or need to be. If you have typical hand tools and aren't a total tool yourself then it's pretty damn easy to do. However there are other things that may need to be done as well, tcase fluid, front and rear diff, cooling system flush, fuel filter, trans service, IMO if your plugs are working I would be more worried about stuff that will leave you stranded if neglected long enough, then do plugs if they wern't done at 100k.

Foglight

Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
I got all the stuff you mentioned and stay on top of that but never messed with the plugs because mileage was good and engine is smooth. I'll have to take a look and see if I can get my fat hands to each 6 of them.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
The last one is really the only challenge I had, even then all it took was a swivle to solve the problem.

Dec 4, 2011
If you do some searching and reading you will also notice that the only plug the majority on this site recommend is the AC Delco. I have a V8 and they are different but you can find the proper one on this site or check with your GM dealer.

There are also discussions on changing the plugs and what pitfalls to watch for. Apparently it is a little more tricky with the coil on the plug. You also have to be aware that sometimes one of the plugs is subject to water and this can create problems. I don't mean to worry you just make you aware of things to watch for. It is always best to let someone else make the mistakes and then learn from them. Believe me people on this site have tried one of everything and two of the best ones.

Good luck shouldn't be too hard. :thumbsup:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Delco 41-103 for the win!

[video=youtube;hB95ERNaUUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB95ERNaUUk[/video]

Also make doubly sure the transfer case gets changed every 50K, not 100K. It will die if neglected, even if you don't use 4WD modes much.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online