PCMforless & shift firmness 3

bigmac

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
I'll be ordering my PCMforless tune in a few days & need some input on the shift firmness. I've looked thru the site & they're seems to be alot of discussion about firmness 1 & 2, but little about level 3.

For the guys that have level 3, how are the shifts during normal around town driving? I like a hard shifting tranny, but if level 3 is so hard that it's pinging the U joints everytime it hits, I might want to go with level 2.

I've installed Vette servos in 4L60E's in the past & wasn't real thrilled with the results. I'm use to old school shift kits, leaving out some check balls, that sort of stuff.

Like I said, I want it to chirp going into 2nd at WOT, but dont want it busting u joints every 10k miles. Honestly I don't think you could make a 4L60E shift "too hard" without doing some internal work.

What do you guys think?

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
bigmac said:
I'll be ordering my PCMforless tune in a few days & need some input on the shift firmness. I've looked thru the site & they're seems to be alot of discussion about firmness 1 & 2, but little about level 3.

For the guys that have level 3, how are the shifts during normal around town driving? I like a hard shifting tranny, but if level 3 is so hard that it's pinging the U joints everytime it hits, I might want to go with level 2.

I've installed Vette servos in 4L60E's in the past & wasn't real thrilled with the results. I'm use to old school shift kits, leaving out some check balls, that sort of stuff.

Like I said, I want it to chirp going into 2nd at WOT, but dont want it busting u joints every 10k miles. Honestly I don't think you could make a 4L60E shift "too hard" without doing some internal work.

What do you guys think?

I have level 2. I wish I had level 3 although I have no experience with level 3 and whether or not its "too much".

bigmac

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Thanks for the reply pittdawg, Im all for hard shifts when I have it stompped to the floor, but I don't want it beating the crap out of the driveshaft, u joints & everything else while im driving around town. But like I said, I dont think it can do that just from a tune.

On a different note, how a do you like the 4:10's ? I'm not a fan of 3:42's in a performance application. I bet these rigs would do much better off the line with some lower gears.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have the shift firmness 2, and its pretty strong in my opinion. I have had my tune for about a month now and I still feel like I get whip lash when I drive it lol. I do 95% city driving.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Had 2 now have 3. Not much different but 3 is just enough more solid I think you should get it.

I would get 3 every time now that I experienced both.

Dec 4, 2011
Voymom said:
I have the shift firmness 2, and its pretty strong in my opinion. I have had my tune for about a month now and I still feel like I get whip lash when I drive it lol. I do 95% city driving.

HARDTRAILZ said:
Had 2 now have 3. Not much different but 3 is just enough more solid I think you should get it.

I would get 3 every time now that I experienced both.

AHH the difference between boys and girls

Am I going to get in trouble for this LOL

Mypetropig

Dec 29, 2011
I don't think you can get tire chirping performance without a shift kit.
Transgo and B&M both make them:twocents: I believe all they do to change shift firmne.ss is increase the line pressure.

bigmac

Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Cool beans :thumbsup:

Looks like I'll be going with level 3. I agree with Mypetropig, I don't think you could ever make it too hard without internal work. I'm looking forward to it, this thing has had, in my opinion, a slush box tranny from day one.

It'll be after the holidays before I can send it off, but I'll let you guys know how it is. I'll throw up a vid also.

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
I got 2 but feel its a bit too much but then again don't have a setup as big as the guys! I'm hoping with the bigger tires end of the month it won't jerk as much when shifting :wink:

All goes down on your taste buddy!

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Since you have the servo installed, go with the level 3 if you want the most out of it. With me, shift from 1-2 is amazing. It's solid and makes your head jerk back a little bit.

On the down side though; once you cold start and driving down the road getting it to operational temp going 10mph@1500rpm in first gear, it will shift hard not knowing if it will put more wear on the tranny. But if you keep the fluid clean, you're in the clear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online

No members online now.