Passenger side air vent Hot and then very cold

mitra

Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I have an 03 TB EXT and have been having a problem with the passenger air cycling between hot air and very cold air. I'm not sure if this is the acutator problem described elsewhere or not.

If the drivers side is pushing hot air out, the passenger has hot air out. But when the drivers side cools down, I think when the cabin hits the correct temperature the passenger side starts pushing out cold air out of the dash and foot vents.

Not sure what to look at for this.

Thanks,
Rian

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome!

There are only five actuators, and only one is in charge of passenger side temperature. If you have the automatic digital control, you may have a sensor wiring issue, or a bad control module, but it's more likely to be the actuator. Pull the lower covers off the dash area and watch its axle while you fiddle with the controls. Are you a DIY'er and have a meter and want to dig deeper? Or do you have a buddy with the same vehicle to swap control modules with for an experiment?

mitra

Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I've actually replaced the control module, and the problem didn't go away.

I've read a lot of the actuator problems, but I didn't think it would be an acutator issue, since I assumed it must be working if the temperature changes from full hot to full cold but I'll have a look at it.

It is a digital control, and i'm willing to dig into it deeper. I've got a meter so I can check readings on the wiring if I have to.

Rian

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The actuators have a six-pin connector, confusingly labeled 5-10.

On the temp actuator passenger side:

Pin 5 BROWN is Ignition 3 voltage (12V)
Pin 6 WH/BK Control line
Pin 7 YE Low reference (0 V)
Pin 8 not used
Pin 9 D-BU Door position feedback sensor
Pin 10 L-BU/BK 5 V reference

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cunra731