painting door handles and rear hatch...whos done it

fountain

Original poster
Member
Apr 23, 2012
10
Looking to paint the door handles and rear hatch along with the mirrors on my white tb. Anybody got pics that's done it? Mainly wondering about mirrors ....paint it all or part of it?
 

stunter85

Member
Apr 22, 2012
42
I have a white trailblazer and i also want to paint my mirrors..i'm gonna do mine in white and i'm only gonna do the covers at first...seen a few pics of just the covers done and it looked really good....the guy also lightly sanded the texture off the cover and it looked realy smooth..mite be somthing to think about...let me know how yours turn out for sure i would love to see them:thumbsup:
 

TXBlazer

Member
Nov 21, 2011
533
Cypress, TEXAS USA
:iagree: I would remove the rear glass handle.

It depends on how much time you have for painting the mirrors, if you go all out like I did just requires the time to smooth them out like glass first, same for the handles unless you can find a set of smooth ones. Either way, it definitely makes a difference. You may want to think about color matching the D-Pillars as well.

DSC_3310.jpg

DSC_3305.jpg

DSC_2785.jpg
 

AtlWrk

Member
Dec 6, 2011
674
I did my door handles a while back and it was incredibly tedious to sand down all four. Despite what I thought was meticulous prep the edges started chipping after a few months (worst on doors that rarely get used:crazy:).
I'll have to do them again when it warms up a bit. Maybe trying a different brand of paint--I don't know what else to do differently.

All that being said, it's a HUGE improvement in the overall look of the TB. I'll be doing my mirror covers at the same time.
 

fishguy1123

Member
Dec 5, 2011
310
I did just the mirror covers. Sanded, platic prep/primer, duplicolor paint, then rustoleum clear laquer. View attachment 20531
 

Attachments

  • mods 002.jpg
    mods 002.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 52
  • mods 004.jpg
    mods 004.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 53
  • mods 003.jpg
    mods 003.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 50

stunter85

Member
Apr 22, 2012
42
After seeing the mirrior covers on the last 2 trucks i have to do mine today!! both of those trucks look AMAZING!!! very good job guys awsome work! that does a huge difference on the apperance!!
 

fishguy1123

Member
Dec 5, 2011
310
Thanks, make sure you get all the tabs released on the cover before you try to remove them. I broke 1 but it holds just fine.
 

fountain

Original poster
Member
Apr 23, 2012
10
so most of yall did this yourself. rattle can? if so how does it match up to the factory color?
 

stunter85

Member
Apr 22, 2012
42
just got the covers off mine and sanded!! man those tabs are fun to get at huh!! lol..I'm going to use rustoleum fusion primer and paint for plastic...then clear them..cant wait to see what it looks like!:wootwoot:
 

Cable810

Member
Dec 5, 2011
690
I Plasti Dipd my Door handles. Best of all If I don't like I can remove it.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
fishguy1123 said:
I did just the mirror covers. Sanded, platic prep/primer, duplicolor paint, then rustoleum clear laquer. View attachment 6291View attachment 6292View attachment 6293

looks good, bro!
I've been considering doing mine, along with the grill bar
a bit nervous about color matching though :sadcry:
guy at the dealership told me that I could get napa to color match it and get the paint, but I was preferring to do it myself, rattle can more than likely :rotfl: any insight?
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
:iagree:

Yeah man I was in the same boat as you until I came across automotivetouchup.com. If you look in your glove box there is a data plate that has your paint code there. Go to their site and find the code to order.

They might have the color name listed differently though. Example, my truck was listed as Desert Metallic when I purchased it, but automotive touch up calls it Cocoa Metallic. The code matched and so does the paint. They offer 1/2oz and 2oz touch up bottles, 12oz aerosol spray paint (rattle can), and 1/2oz paint pen in the paint code that you choose.

Take into account shipping time though. My order (One aerosol can and one 1/2oz touch up bottle) took a little over a week since they had to mix the paint and package it in your desired container. I have used the touch up paint and the color matching is spot on.

I do like TXBlazer's idea of painting the entire mirror instead of just the cover as well as painting the D-Pillars. First TB I have seen with those painted. I have had the paint for two months now, but have been waiting for it to warm up so I can paint outside. Along with the primer and clear coat, I have read many recommendations that says to use an adhesion promoter prior to spraying on the primer.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
dmanns67 said:
:iagree:

Yeah man I was in the same boat as you until I came across automotivetouchup.com. If you look in your glove box there is a data plate that has your paint code there. Go to their site and find the code to order.

They might have the color name listed differently though. Example, my truck was listed as Desert Metallic when I purchased it, but automotive touch up calls it Cocoa Metallic. The code matched and so does the paint. They offer 1/2oz and 2oz touch up bottles, 12oz aerosol spray paint (rattle can), and 1/2oz paint pen in the paint code that you choose.

Take into account shipping time though. My order (One aerosol can and one 1/2oz touch up bottle) took a little over a week since they had to mix the paint and package it in your desired container. I have used the touch up paint and the color matching is spot on.

I do like TXBlazer's idea of painting the entire mirror instead of just the cover as well as painting the D-Pillars. First TB I have seen with those painted. I have had the paint for two months now, but have been waiting for it to warm up so I can paint outside. Along with the primer and clear coat, I have read many recommendations that says to use an adhesion promoter prior to spraying on the primer.
well, if we ever end up at the same meet, I'll be buying you a beer :thumbsup:
gonna bookmark that site, and as soon as payday comes around again, I'll be sanding and colormatching the grille and mirrors. Though, I like the frame of the mirrors black. I like how the black breaks up the mirrors and the body of the truck, but that's just me.
HUGE thanks, can't wait for the gf and I to get working on this :biggrin:
::yes, I landed a winner!! Can't ask for anyone better::
AND she likes working on the tb and her mazda 3 :wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot:
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
well, if we ever end up at the same meet, I'll be buying you a beer :thumbsup:
gonna bookmark that site, and as soon as payday comes around again, I'll be sanding and colormatching the grille and mirrors. Though, I like the frame of the mirrors black. I like how the black breaks up the mirrors and the body of the truck, but that's just me.
HUGE thanks, can't wait for the gf and I to get working on this :biggrin:
::yes, I landed a winner!! Can't ask for anyone better::
AND she likes working on the tb and her mazda 3 :wootwoot::wootwoot::wootwoot:

I appreciate it and I think I would owe you one as well! :yes: That is what this site is all about.

When you say grille, are you talking about the cross bar that goes into the headlights or the black plastic honeycomb? The black on the mirrors do break up the color of the truck. Plus there is all of the black trim around the windows. Since TXBlazer and I have the same color truck, I can instantly see what the mod would look like on mine. I am still undecided about the D-Pillars? Did you wrap yours in carbon fiber?

Sounds like a great girl. The wife is not into modding her F-150 until I convinced her into letting me replace her fresnel headlight with clear ones and add a 4300K HID kit. She still does not notice any mods that I do, only the bank account lol.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
Hahaha yea, when I told her how much I had in my retrofit, the look on her face was, well, frightening...
And yea, I wrapped them in cf (we did, actually) as well as tje front/back bowtie. Some don't like it, I think it's enough to look good, not enough to be tacky.
The crossbar, not the honeycomb lol
I'm gonna respray the honecomb black when I do it, though.
The all black retrofit with colormatched crossbar is gonna look GOOD :yes:
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
I'm exploring around on automotivetouchup.com now, dmanns did you order all the materials from there? or pull things from here and there to do the job?
and I've read that there is A LOT of sanding involved? How much work is it exactly to get them ready for paint? :eek:
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
NinjuhhNutz said:
I'm exploring around on automotivetouchup.com now, dmanns did you order all the materials from there? or pull things from here and there to do the job?
and I've read that there is A LOT of sanding involved? How much work is it exactly to get them ready for paint? :eek:

I ordered all of my paint from automotivetouchup.com. I purchased the adhesion promoter, primer, clear coat, and sand paper from a local Advance Auto Parts. Since I have not done the mod, I can only speak to my plan. This will probably be a weekend project to get a good finish.

Most of your sanding comes with the prep stage. Since the plastic cover is not smooth, I would start by wet sanding the mirror cover with a 400 grit and finish with 1000 grit to get a smooth surface. Clean and wash the covers prior to adding the adhesion promoter.

Once you start spraying the primer you will see imperfections that were missed when sanding. To get a smooth surface you will need to primer, sand, primer, sand, etc until you are satisfied with the surface. This will probably be the most time consuming.

Once your base coat and clear coat have been sprayed and dried, you can hit it with 2500 grit. I was planning on doing at least 4 to 5 coats of clear since the covers are out there for rocks, bugs, and other road debris to smack into. Then finish it all off with a rubbing compund and polish. Also, make sure you hit the inner rim of the cover as it can be seen when installed.

Any members who have completed this mod, please feel free to add additional info/steps you took. I will be starting the process this coming weekend, I hope.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
paint FANALLY came in today! As I just got off work, the gf and I will be doing the painting in the morning :smile: (that's right, putting her ass to work :rotfl:)
will post in progress pics and finished product pics. Then, we're off to Mi Casitas for seafood burritos and margaritas :wootwoot:
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
I am glad at least one of us can get to it. With work and family coming in town, I will probably have to wait until the first week of June for vacation to start. I will be trying my hand at plasti dip as well. We shall see how it goes.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
Well...I can say I painted my first car part :wootwoot:
really wasn't as difficult as I had expected. Knocked down the texture with 220, went up to 320 and 600, then prep solvent, then adhesion promotor, then primed and sanded smooth. I had an uh oh :duh: as I was moving one of the mirror covers to dry, I dropped it :hissyfit: so I'll let it dry fully overnight, and sand it down and repaint it tomorrow.
overall looks pretty good imo. I put about 5 base coats and 5 clear, just because the mirrors are prone to road hazards and getting chipped.
2013050295162042.jpg

2013050295162028.jpg


overall, I'd say it was a success. I also painted the honeycomb part of the grill a gloss black, and the entire inside of the retrofit it going to be black, I thought it would be a good time to go ahead and knock it out. Getting ready to go out to dinner now, will snap a few pics either later or tomorrow.
((Did I say dinner? I meant fajitas and margaritas! :wootwoot::raspberry: ahhhh I love days off lol ))
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
That looks awesome! :thumbsup: Now I cannot wait to get mine started! I would like to see a pic of the grille too. Did you clear coat the honeycomb as well? Great job!
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
Yes, used some gloss black for plastic, and the same clear from the website. Still need to wetsand and polish tomorrow :yes:
I'm happy with the outcome, still a lil bit of finishing touches, buy overall looks good to me.
Get on it when you can bro. Makes a big diff on the appearance imo.
And 2 thumbs up for the website suggestion...they have aweaome products
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
ok, some decent pics of the finished product.
I'm not all that happy with the drivers side mirror, since it's the one I dropped. I kinda ran out of primer and paint before I had it finished to my satisfaction. BUT, since this was so easy, I'm gonna do the door handles soon, so I'll just redo the mirror then. :thumbsup:
Also, if anyone is considering this, DO IT! super easy to do. The hardest part for me was waiting for the dang things to dry :hissyfit:
2013-05-03120719.jpg

2013-05-03120705.jpg
 

MikeyNice

Member
Jan 6, 2012
8
Painted the back hatch and mirrors. Also removed the black plastic pillars between the doors, it was already color matched underneath.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
Has anyone paintes that trim panel that goes all the way down the sides of the truck? I saw one colormatched the other day, and it looked great! I assume the SS models are? Might do them when I doo the door handles :yes: the TB is gettin a full makeover :biggrin:
 

hockeyman

Member
Aug 26, 2012
726
After seeing the painted mirrors in posts 6, 24, 27, and 28, I decided I'm going to do mine the same way.
Fortunately, I have professional auto painting equipment and I'm going to precisely match them to the exterior (pewter) paint. :biggrin:
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
Honestly bro, when I finished mine, you literally can't tell a difference between it and the factory paint. I do wish I had a compressor I could use and a spray gun though...I want to get into painting
 

Charley12

Member
Mar 23, 2013
133
How are y'all smoothing them out first? I painted mine but didn't take the time to do that and wish I would have.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
I used 220 to start, wetsand until it's almost smooth, then climb up to 600ish...prime/sand and you're good to go.
I was talking to blkshdw abt it, he said he just used a high build primer, and sanded and reprimed until it was smooth. Smart idea if you ask me. Either way, wasn't much work at all
 

dmanns67

Member
Apr 3, 2013
32,979
Ohio
DupliColor has a sandable and scratch filler primer. Between wet sanding the plastic and sand/filler primer, they should turn out very smooth. I have seen pictures of others who did not take the time to do the prep work and their paint is textured versus smooth.
 

NinjuhhNutz

Member
Oct 15, 2012
720
dmanns67 said:
DupliColor has a sandable and scratch filler primer. Between wet sanding the plastic and sand/filler primer, they should turn out very smooth. I have seen pictures of others who did not take the time to do the prep work and their paint is textured versus smooth.

I'm sure it looked better than the caprice that pulled up beside me today at a stop light...orange and white paint job, with COOGI on the side, SPRAY PAINTED, on the side...:banghead:
But, as long as you take your time, you'll be fine. Don't be in a rush to get it finished, or you'll regret it later. and don't be like me and drop it after you put your second coat of clear on :redface:
 

Charley12

Member
Mar 23, 2013
133
I have seen pictures of others who did not take the time to do the prep work and their paint is textured versus smooth.

This would be pertaining to me!! Lol I got in a hurry. Did my side moldings, roof rack and mirrors in 1/2 a Saturday!!!
 

Forum Statistics

Threads
23,480
Posts
639,811
Members
18,707
Latest member
obd

Members Online