P90X

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
Curious to know if anyone here has tried p90x workout or not? A couple years ago I did 60 days of the workout and it kicked my butt, but I felt amazing with results.

Today was my first day back to trying to do the full 90 days. Wondering if anyone here has completed it or their results.

For those of you that don't know what p90x is.....its a 90day workout program that will kick your butt. Its on those infomercials all the time. With a guy named Tony Horton. He gets to be a bit annoying but seems to know what he is talking about.

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
i have never tried it, but my daughters boyfriend did do the full 90 days.
it worked great for him. lost weight and inches, had to buy new clothes.
believe he still keeps up w/ it, just not as intensely. :twocents:

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
I've done P90X before, it's a quality program if you're disciplined enough to stick with it. I've been in the gym religiously for years and train martial arts on a regular basis, and it stepped up my fitness level slightly. Insanity, on the other hand, boosted my cardio more than I expected, and is only 60 days.

I have copies of both if anyone is interested, pm me. :smile:
Also, always around for chat about gym/martial arts related things...two of the things that interest me more than most lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:thumbsup: I've tried it a few times, the one time I stuck with it consistently, I dropped 20 lbs over the first 60 days, and my cardio improved greatly. :yes:

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I have done Insanity instead of p90x, just for the simple fact that with Insanity you don't need any other tool or items. I lost 25lbs in about 3 months time, and I have 25lbs to go. I stopped recently though.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Voymom said:
I have done Insanity instead of p90x, just for the simple fact that with Insanity you don't need any other tool or items. I lost 25lbs in about 3 months time, and I have 25lbs to go. I stopped recently though.

insanity is hard and nuts but one of the best!!! you will loose a ton of weight with it and no tools like you say! Best part about it!

Plus insanity is a 60 day program so faster time with the same weight lost

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MTouz said:
It has kicked my butt the last 2 days.....Sore as a mofo!

insanity or p90x?

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
insanity or p90x?

p90x

I haven't tried insanity yet, but have heard all good things about it and that it lives up to its name.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MTouz said:
p90x

I haven't tried insanity yet, but have heard all good things about it and that it lives up to its name.

insanity is nuts but well worth it in the end! Feel great after a workout :yes:

But the real question in the end is what are your goals? Get bigger? tone up? just loose weight? What do you want?

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
ItsOnVoy said:
insanity is nuts but well worth it in the end! Feel great after a workout :yes:

But the real question in the end is what are your goals? Get bigger? tone up? just loose weight? What do you want?

agreed, while insanity will get you LEANNNNNNN, it won't do much in the category of considerable muslce mass (unless you're 140lbs soaking wet lol)
you will have long&strong muscles and be quite capable of using them for extended periods of time, but don't think your bench is going up 200+ lbs because of it.

Realistic goals in realistic time frames is more often than not what help people get through these programs. If you want to gain muscle mass while staying lean, stick with P90X and EAT!!! If you want to maintain muscle mass and get ripped, put your big girl panties on and do Insanity...and EAT!!!
((seeing a common theme here?))

please please PLEASE don't do these programs on a "no, I ate 3 days ago, I'm good" mindset. Not only will you feel like pure sh*t, you'll significantly increase your chances of injury. Eat small well ballanced portions, 5-6 times a day, stay hydrated, and you'll be surprised at how much your body will do when you demand it.

Toss the junk food, sodas, and BEER!!! (not forever, just until you realize where your "sweet spot" is for your activity level/splurge level as I like to call it
:raspberry:

lastly, take photos, keep logs, etc. There will be days were you just plain out don't feel like doing it. Suck it up and do it anyways :biggrin:
I would say the first couple weeks are the hardest, then after that it kind of becomes part of your routine. I feel like something is missing out of my day now if I don't get a good workout in.

Best of luck :smile:

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
i'll add my 2 cents here. I started working out last February pretty hard core and gained just under 20lbs of muscle then added a lot of cardio and dropped 8 of those lbs almost in the first 2 weeks of the eliptical. That's about all I had to loose. I've always been trim and in good shape but had lost my definition and strengh I used to have in my younger days. It's all back and then some. The key is to not buy or bring home junkfood and modify your diet and what happens that I still can't believe is you don't even crave stuff anymore. I don't crave sugar or chips and instead replaced snacks with yogurt, cottage cheese, vegetables and similar. I'm at the gym 5 days a week or more when I can be and I just build it into my schedule now as part of my routine. I feel like it'd be hard to maintain the workouts mentioned but I don't quite know what they are about.

Voymom

Feb 3, 2012
I quit drinking pop and lost about 10 of the 25lbs alone from taking it out of my diet. Soda will cause you to retain water, and has also been found to make you swell, which makes you look fatter/heavier. But soda will also do the same to your innards. It will cause your liver, and other organs to swell and end up not functioning properly. I used to drink a 24pk of mountain dew a day, and now I can't even stand the taste of soda.

I have not taken sweets or chips out of my diet though. I think that in order to achieve goals and keep losing weight it is easier to follow a not so strict diet. It isn't a diet after all....it should be considered a lifestyle. I still eat cake, pie, candy bars....have sweet tea etc..I even have taco bell and McDonald's every once in a while, but I eat and enjoy these things very moderately. Fast food is once every few months. If I eat cake, I skip the sugar filled frosting and so forth. I know if I took all the sweets and shitty food completely out of my diet, I would not be able to maintain the structure to be able to drop the weight and keep it off as I would end up binge eating all the junk I could. I also have a cheat day...Sunday, where I sit on my ass and veg out. I eat and drink whatever I want, whenever I want but always in moderation.

As far as the gym VS something like p90x and Insanity....I prefer using my Insanity DVD's, because I'm at home, and being as self conscience as I am, I am much more comfortable than being in a public area on a treadmill. Plus if I need help learning a workout I have my husband here to help me with my form, and I can pay him with pumpkin pie instead of hundreds of dollars on a personal trainer who really doesn't give a damn if I reach my goals or not. I much rather workout in a place where I am supported, a support team is a MUST in losing weight, because it's not easy. Hell me losing 25lbs was harder than me not smoking(3 days smoke free), I would much rather smoke than gain that 25lbs back because it was excruciating.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
NinjuhhNutz said:
agreed, while insanity will get you LEANNNNNNN, it won't do much in the category of considerable muslce mass (unless you're 140lbs soaking wet lol)
you will have long&strong muscles and be quite capable of using them for extended periods of time, but don't think your bench is going up 200+ lbs because of it.

Realistic goals in realistic time frames is more often than not what help people get through these programs. If you want to gain muscle mass while staying lean, stick with P90X and EAT!!! If you want to maintain muscle mass and get ripped, put your big girl panties on and do Insanity...and EAT!!!
((seeing a common theme here?))

please please PLEASE don't do these programs on a "no, I ate 3 days ago, I'm good" mindset. Not only will you feel like pure sh*t, you'll significantly increase your chances of injury. Eat small well ballanced portions, 5-6 times a day, stay hydrated, and you'll be surprised at how much your body will do when you demand it.

Toss the junk food, sodas, and BEER!!! (not forever, just until you realize where your "sweet spot" is for your activity level/splurge level as I like to call it
:raspberry:

lastly, take photos, keep logs, etc. There will be days were you just plain out don't feel like doing it. Suck it up and do it anyways :biggrin:
I would say the first couple weeks are the hardest, then after that it kind of becomes part of your routine. I feel like something is missing out of my day now if I don't get a good workout in.

Best of luck :smile:

I personally have to disagree with that! Staying lean and gaining mass are two different things. You want to get big NATURALLY you take that money into a gym and workout and like he says EAT! Eat food with protein but not too much protein, remember no matter what you eat too much of if your body doesn't need it, it turns to fat. Your body can only take in 40 grams of protein per hour max...and that doesn't mean go drink 40 grams of protein either. It all goes off your lean body mass, I am not going to ask for your weight on here and if you already stated then I missed it lol I will say keep it at 25 grams max for your not very big

But he is right eat do not be scared, but eat right. Veggies and chicken and turkey things like that. Keep fat to a min like very low amount and carbs if your looking to just loose weight keep carbs on the lower side also. I say 50grams max. But if your looking to gain muscle mass then carbs need to increase a good amount, after a workout take 3x the carbs to a gram of protein because your muscles need that to feed form and grow. take omega-3 fatty pills (fish oil pills) they will help you with a lot also and keep you focused. I can talk about this stuff all day but I wont bore anyone on here

MTouz

Original poster
May 9, 2012
With the eating part...I just modify what I intake. I'm not a big "sweet' eater to begin with so cutting that is easy for me. Its how much food I intake and then being lazy. lol So a bit less food and healthier portions is what I've been trying to do. Not a big pop drinker either, I'm partial to tea....but I love me some Bud Light! Yes I know that must me cut out too :sadcry: haha!

I don't want to really add bulk/mass more just wanting to slim/lean down a bit but still have a bit of muscle.

Day 3 of this program and I can hardly move! lol Mentally feeling great, but body is hating life. lol I ordered a Recovery Drink which I hope it helps with my muscle aches.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
MTouz said:
With the eating part...I just modify what I intake. I'm not a big "sweet' eater to begin with so cutting that is easy for me. Its how much food I intake and then being lazy. lol So a bit less food and healthier portions is what I've been trying to do. Not a big pop drinker either, I'm partial to tea....but I love me some Bud Light! Yes I know that must me cut out too :sadcry: haha!

I don't want to really add bulk/mass more just wanting to slim/lean down a bit but still have a bit of muscle.

Day 3 of this program and I can hardly move! lol Mentally feeling great, but body is hating life. lol I ordered a Recovery Drink which I hope it helps with my muscle aches.

Just have 4-6 small meals a day...small being the key word lol

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
take omega-3 fatty pills (fish oil pills) they will help you with a lot also and keep you focused.

What do Omega 3 pills do for you in your experience? I have heard about them in passing several times.

NinjuhhNutz

Oct 15, 2012
More or less increases your bodies ability to burn fat. Omega 3 fatty acids are "good fats" and support insulin levels as well which directly effects metabolism rates. Long story short, 2 thumbs up lol
I take a regular multivitamin, vitamin c, vitamin d, and fish oil o a daily basis. It's by no means a magic pill, but overall, worth it to me.

BE SURE to get coated capsulea, or half an hour later you'll understand why. Fish burps are horrible ::gag::

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Forum Runner

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
NinjuhhNutz said:
More or less increases your bodies ability to burn fat. Omega 3 fatty acids are "good fats" and support insulin levels as well which directly effects metabolism rates. Long story short, 2 thumbs up lol
I take a regular multivitamin, vitamin c, vitamin d, and fish oil o a daily basis. It's by no means a magic pill, but overall, worth it to me.

BE SURE to get coated capsulea, or half an hour later you'll understand why. Fish burps are horrible ::gag::

I'll look into it. I can only imagine my wife's reaction to now taking pill supplements though. She looked at me yesterday and asked what exactly i'm trying to accomplish by working out and running so much. She goes to the gym too and is in great shape but not as serious and religious as me. Like I have to justify trying to be in good shape. I feel like she should be happy I'm in better shape than 99% of guys my age even if it takes some time.

Tarnished

Dec 3, 2011
I've used P90X three times since 09, just the different variations each time.
I like it, and it's structured. But you can get the same kind of results with the same mindset and discipline you will use doing it, with other less structured regimens.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Jkust said:
What do Omega 3 pills do for you in your experience? I have heard about them in passing several times.

NinjuhhNutz said:

Also increases your memory and ability to remember more things along with focus. Omega 3 fatty acids are the one fats you can eat and not worry about gaining weight really.

Also make sure its mercury free, just saying that incase Im sure all of them are like that now a days. I got ones that have a "lemon" taste and plus fish oil pills don't break until it hits the intestines

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shinystar696

Members Online