p0984 error code

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
Good afternoon all,

yesterday at 100025 miles my engine light came on, today I took it to the auto zone and it came back as code p0984 transmission slip. I bought the truck with 90k miles, I had clean the throttle body, replaced spark plugs as basic maintenance, Where should I start first and what should I be looking for?

Thank you for all the inputs.:crazy:

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
Good afternoon all,

yesterday at 100025 miles my engine light came on, today I took it to the auto zone and it came back as code p0984 transmission slip. I bought the truck with 90k miles, I had clean the throttle body, replaced spark plugs as basic maintenance, Where should I start first and what should I be looking for?

Thank you for all the inputs.:crazy:

Check your fluid level and see if it is burnt (dark colored, stinks like burnt oil)

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
+1 :iagree: Maintenance calls for pan drop and filter change at 100k miles, so if the fluid isn't too black or smell burnt, the filter and 5 quarts of Dexron VI trans fluid may be all you need. Good luck.

Also, what year truck do you have? My 2003 service manual does not list a P0984.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
wooluf1952 said:
+1 :iagree: Maintenance calls for pan drop and filter change at 100k miles, so if the fluid isn't too black or smell burnt, the filter and 5 quarts of dexron vi trans fluid may be all you need. Good luck.

Also, what year truck do you have? My 2003 service manual does not list a p0984.
06 i64.2l tb ext 4x4

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I drove the car about 5 hours ago, so I assume this would be the "cold" range, The oil seems clear red/pinkish typical trans fluid, did not smell anything burnt. I did not turn the car on, if someone can outline what the correct way for this truck is I would be highly appreciative.

Since is at 100KM, I will do the complete drainage and refill since this is my daily car and tow vehicle for my 2800lb travel trailer. I know it has to be dextron VI, is there a prefer brand? I will not have time to change for another two weekends and I have to haul the camper about 175miles round trip, in FL which is all flatland am I placing the truck on a considerable risk?

McGMT

Jun 17, 2012
xj2202009 said:
I drove the car about 5 hours ago, so I assume this would be the "cold" range, The oil seems clear red/pinkish typical trans fluid, did not smell anything burnt. I did not turn the car on, if someone can outline what the correct way for this truck is I would be highly appreciative.

Since is at 100KM, I will do the complete drainage and refill since this is my daily car and tow vehicle for my 2800lb travel trailer. I know it has to be dextron VI, is there a prefer brand? I will not have time to change for another two weekends and I have to haul the camper about 175miles round trip, in FL which is all flatland am I placing the truck on a considerable risk?

The vehicle needs to be running to check your fluid level, start it, run it through each gear selection then check the level. If your down on the cold marking without the engine running you must be lowwwww on fluid... Check it out and see what's up from there....

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
I drove the car for about 30 miles, check the oil with engine running and it was withing normal range. I cleared the code and have driven the truck almost a hundred miles and no light. Is this a safe distance to say I just need to change the oil as part of the 100k miles scheduled maintenance.?

Also:
I read how many folks just change the oil in the pan which is about five out fourteen quarts I believe, how do I drain the rest as I tow with this vehicle and would like to keep it in top shape?
do I need to do anything to the transfer case and or the differentials as part of the 100k miles club?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
T-case fluid is every 50k miles and the diffs at least every 100k. A lot of the off roaders change diff fluid at 50k miles also.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Wooluf1952 said:
A lot of the off roaders change diff fluid at 50k miles also.
If we haven't swapped axles before then, that is. :wink: My second axle is starting to show weepage where the axle tubes enter the center casting, after only about 30K miles of nice easy driving to my mountain spiritual retreat and contemplative locations.

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
the roadie said:
If we haven't swapped axles before then, that is. :wink: My second axle is starting to show weepage where the axle tubes enter the center casting, after only about 30K miles of nice easy driving to my mountain spiritual retreat and contemplative locations.

good one, lmao,

xj2202009

Original poster
Mar 27, 2012
xj2202009 said:
transmission filter: any preference?

This have been completed turn out well, still getting the same code plus a 0945, this is been continued on a different blog.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online