P042 Leak found on Gas tank

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Hello all, long time Trailvoyer and now on GMTNation....

I have had a P042 code for about a year or so now. Had a local shop fix it last year since I did not have a way to do a leak test. They said it was a port on the gas tank that had cracked causing the leak.

Well a year later the leak came back. So I dropped the tank yesterday and found out where the leak was. I can see where the mechanic repaired the crack but am not sure what he used to do it. I contacted him to get more information and he said that he didn't remember what he had used and that I should just change the tank.

My question is, Do I need to just change the tank of can I fix this again using some other type of bonding material?

View attachment 28611
View attachment 28612

Attachments

• 20130602_155716.jpg
    20130602_155716.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 12
  • 20130602_155710.jpg
    20130602_155710.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 12

tbyoda

Apr 19, 2013
Try JB Weld WaterWeld, much cheaper that a new tank.

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-waterweld/

From there FAQ

Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld.

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Rs8892 said:
Try JB Weld WaterWeld, much cheaper that a new tank.

WaterWeld | Specially Formulated Epoxy Putty

From there FAQ

Is J-B Weld resistant to water and/or gasoline?

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld.

I saw SteelStik at at local parts store today that said it could be used on gas tanks. I think I will try that. I have also seen some video online where people have used a soldering iron to melt the plastic. That seems a little dangerous to me.

- - - Updated - - -

So once I fix this, do I need to reset the light manually?

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
jonbo2002 said:
car-part.com $50-$135 in my area check your area or just call local junk yards.

Thanks a lot for that info :thumbsup:. A couple of junkyards locally have them for about $100 :wootwoot:. My biggest concern on buying this would be the filler neck condition since there is a known problem with them.

Anyways, I have contacted them and asked for pictures and to confirm the condition of the tank. Lets see what they come back with.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I agree. Replace the tank and be done with it. I personally haven't had much luck with JB Weld lately. Everything to be absolutely clean. Fixing it seems to have failed in the past so why chance it again? I know these had failures in the early ones at the filler neck. Strange that this one failed at this location since it is not under any kind of stress. An 04 or later tank should be fine.

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
I have installed the new tank and filled it full with gas last weekend. I have also drive the TB for about 200 miles. Since I don't have a ODBII tool I did not reset the light and I did not want to disconnect the battery to reset because of the other infamous issues that the battery disconnect causes.

My question is, will the CEL light shut off automatically or do I need to clear the codes? If it does reset manually, how long will it normally take i.e. miles or fill ups?

I am getting concerned that the leak may still be present with the replacement tank.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Which code did you have exactly? P042 does not exist. Usually has 4 digits. P00442 is the one you'd get for a leaking gas tank or cap. It should reset itself after a couple of normal drives IF the condition causing the error is really fixed. Is it a brand new tank or just a used one? Did you reuse everything from your old one?

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Mooseman said:
Which code did you have exactly? P042 does not exist. Usually has 4 digits. P00442 is the one you'd get for a leaking gas tank or cap. It should reset itself after a couple of normal drives IF the condition causing the error is really fixed. Is it a brand new tank or just a used one? Did you reuse everything from your old one?

You are correct about the code, it is P0442. I have driven about 200 miles in two weeks and the light is still there. The tank is used and came off a 2005 Envoy. I did a good visual inspection of the tank before I installed it and did not find any issues on it. I only used the fuel pump and the Canister solenoid as they were relatively new on my tank.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It should clear itself. If you don't have a code reader, you go to an auto parts store that reads codes for free and ask they clear it (takes just a second) or you should invest in one. Some can be had for around $30. If it keeps coming back, you either have a leak somewhere (gas cap?) or the pressure sensor is defective. It's the one on top of the fuel pump module with the three wires. It looks like this: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1490194&cc=1398719

jigubhai2001

Original poster
Jun 19, 2012
Mooseman said:
It should clear itself. If you don't have a code reader, you go to an auto parts store that reads codes for free and ask they clear it (takes just a second) or you should invest in one. Some can be had for around $30. If it keeps coming back, you either have a leak somewhere (gas cap?) or the pressure sensor is defective. It's the one on top of the fuel pump module with the three wires. It looks like this: https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1490194&cc=1398719

Thanks for the info. I will drive for 1 more tank fill up. If it does not reset, I guess I am back to the drawing board. The pressure sensor makes sense since I did not swap that from my old tank and may be the replacement had a defective one. Gas Cap is only a year old and its OEM.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online