p0410 code, air injection system

southpaw84

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
ok, my service engine light has been on and i had it scanned and the code was the p0410 code which is the secondary air injection system. i pulled the hoses off of the pump and there was water in the pump so i figured it was my check valve and also figured the pump was bad also. i put a brand new check valve and pump in, but figured id check the relay as well. well the relay was corroded and so was the connector, i went ahead and replaced the connector and the relay with brand new parts also. the pump still isnt running on a cold start and the light is staying on i checked all the fuses that had anything to do with the pump and they all look good....am i missing something here? the air injection system only has three main parts to it, the valve, the pump and the relay and everything is brand new and replaced within the last week... any help would be greatly appreciated

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
You're on the right track, but you need a meter to check fuses properly. Do you have one and some experience using it?

Here's the schematic. As you can see, one of the fuses, the 60A puppy, is a "J Case" fuse that isn't like the normal ones.

schematics-AirPump1.jpg

And how about the check valve? The functional test for that is to remove the hoses and listen on a cold start to see if it opens and you hear exhaust noises. Do you?

If so, then at least you know the PCM is commanding the system to activate. If not, you may have a wiring issue from the PCM to the relay for the pump. Did you probe the relay socket to see if it has 12V on the two contacts it should have? Does the pump motor have a good ground? You can check the motor on a bench if you have a warm place to work on it.

southpaw84

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Unfortunately I didn't start checking everything with a meter, I have one somewhere, just have to find it.. thank you, I'm going to start going through all the electrical possibilities once I have a good day for it cause its about eight degrees where I am and I don't have access to a garage unfortunately

southpaw84

Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
ok its still too cold to start testing all the electrical, but i know its an electrical problem. the tb sat all night and i went out this morning and disconnected the hose on the check valve and then started the truck, there was nothing coming out of the valve

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
I'll probably be messing with this myself this weekend. When my light first came on, I could still hear the pump running on cold start, now that has stopped, so I imagine all the water in the pump froze and broke that too. It'd be nice if there was an improvement we could make to this system. I just had these same parts replaced 15K miles ago. At least that time they were under warranty. Kinda ridiculous.

Does anyone know if it is possible to tell which airpump we need (straight inlet vs 90 degree inlet) by year or anything other than crawling in the snow under the truck?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online